procrastination results in fire

MZBHAVN

Participating Member
City
Wake Forest
Last year or about 50 boat hours ago I installed a electronics box, in doing so I knew the spreader light quit working and I assummed I nicked a wire when drilling the hole in the t-top:mad:. Well I decided to put replacing the wire on the round-to-it list and it could have realy bit me in the ###.

Last month we were out in rough seas with another family and I kept smelling a burning electrical smell, but everything was running fine. I then started seeing smoke coming out of the center consel and I knew excitement was about to occur. I told the kids and other adults on board to back away while my wife was grabbing the fire ext. I started to open up the cc and quickly noticed the smoke that filled it. When I got to the lower portion of the cc I observed that we had a fire on the wires that went into the t-top. The FE worked and the damage was limited to the wires for the spreader light, courtesy light and white nav light.They melted nearly the entire distance.

My point for sharing this, a simple issue left un-correct could have life changing events. We were lucky expolsive vapors were not present that day(for any of us that have fueled up our rod holder) Oh by the way I have replaced the wiring.

Wonder why the fuse didn't blow?

it did for the spreader light, that is how I assumed I nicked the wire. The overhead courtesy light was hard wired to the battery block, I now assume that I must have damaged that wire as well and it was the rough weather that caused it to short out.

The real lesson is the practice of bypassing protective circuits, directly to the battery or using fuses or breakers that are rated higher than the wiring.........result........well, you read Toolman's experience. make sure your wiring circuits are set up properly.

For a quick overview of electrical...... First= know the amp draw of all your electrical items. Second = size the wire, length of run and fuse/breaker accordingly. Third - if possible try to bond all metal to ground and or a a ground plate. And for a tid-bit, which seems to be more prevelant on our Roplene type boats.....be careful of static buildup when around open fuel filler or vent. :)

Keep in mind this circuit was a existing when I purchased the boat new. That was my exact thoughts as I was breaking the wires off the block immediately after putting out the fire to why the heck wasn't this circuit fused.

Bought New?! I think I'd be having an unpleasant conversation with Triumph and or the dealer.

Note to others: This is a perfect example. Just because it's factory or dealer installed, doesn't make it right or necessarily safe. Know your systems. If you don't, find out. Then be sure they check out.
I like to keep one of "Murphy's Laws" fresh in my mind. "If it can go wrong,..... it will....and at the worst possible time."
So check it out, or hit the pool and bone up on your treading water skills. :eek:

I have wondered also about the wiring. I bought my boat new, and soon found that the dual battery switch was wired incorrectly. The "off" position was not "off". The main buss was wired into a hot terminal of the switch, so everything on the boat was wired direct to one of the batteries (I forget which one). There was also an unprotected circuit to the courtesy lights. I'm not sure whether the dual battery switch, which was an optional accessory on my boat, was installed by the factory, or the dealer. But I thought it to be pretty sloppy.

Thanks for sharing this valuable information, glad everyone is ok.

That is exactly why we completely re did our electrical system. Now I know it is wired correctly and with the proper fuses.

Unfortunately it sometimes takes an accident to help wake us up to the potential for a real disaster.

Toolman, glad you are safe.

Push&Pull, you are so right on with Murphy's Law.

Back