Who needs a swim platform on a fishing boat?

cagrove

Contributing Member
A recent article from the Virginia Department of Game and Inland Fisheries online Outdoor Report (free subscription: http://www.dgif.virginia.gov/ )highlighted just what can happen when a person falls overboard and can't get back in. Copied with permission is the article:

"Man Overboard... On July 21, 2007, Officers Wes Billings and Lee Wensel were patrolling Claytor Lake when a subject in a bass boat waved them in for assistance. Upon approach, a second individual was observed in the water. This individual was a 53-year-old male weighing approximately 300 pounds. He had fallen overboard, was not wearing a PFD, and was unable to re-enter his boat due to his physical condition. The officers lifted the man out of the water back into his boat. The man was visibly exhausted, and the rescue squad was contacted. He was given oxygen and examined by rescue personnel. The man was grateful for the assistance of the Conservation Police Officers. The boaters were advised that public safety is the primary concern of a Virginia Conservation Police Officer and that it's always a good idea to wear a Personal Flotation Device. "

Even with a friend aboard, this person could not get back into his boat. The article doesn't say why the person in the boat didn't give his partner a life vest!

Thanks to the Virginia DGIF for the article and permission to copy it.

Cagrove, I have a stainless steel retractable, 4 step ladder I use on my boat. I store it with a bungee to the side rail at the aft, inside of the boat. I use a safety cord on the aft cleat beside the aft seat where the ladder hooks on the side. This way I won't lose the ladder when trying to get back on board.

Every boat owner should some sort of means of getting back into his boat. I'm still trying to figure out how to get back into a canoe when there is only me and no one else to counter my weight on the other side of the canoe?

When I was younger ans skinnier go to the front or stearn of the canoe and go length ways instead of from the sides.....Boy scout canoeing merit badge info there.....

There was an incident in Sandy Hook Bay a few months back - man overboard w/o a PFD. He was about 300# and in the water for about 15 minutes; fishing alone and he fell out of his boat. Hypothermia and exhaustion were setting in. A passing boater picked him up; it took 2 men in good shape about 10 minutes to get him in the boat. Not that a boarding ladder would have helped, but it would have got him back in his own boat.

I swim from my boat all the time to cool off on hot summer days while fishing. I re-enter my boat from the transom and use the cavitaion plate on my engine as a step. This works fine for me even though I have a ladder - I usually leave it at home.

If you are going to use my technique, you may want to practice it before you need it in an emergency.

Spend less than $150 or even $100 and buy a Garlick ladder, bend the tubes to custom fit the transome and waterline, put in the Togglers and the whole family and you will enjoy. Removable ladders stink, climbing and the occasional slipping on the motor and getting wounded stinks. Done all that years ago......not worth the pain.

I agree with woodenfish. I was trolling in August at 10,000 feet in the sierras and my brain was fried. I jumped off my whaler, swam and took 15 minutes to board without a swim step. It is worth it on a fishing boat. We were camping and needed a shower in the heat anyway. Glad to have it on my 190 bay.

Back