Holmes and i got hit by a bass boat on Lake Wylie Saturday night in his 210

BigBird

Participating Member
City
CHARLOTTE
Holmes and i went fishing sat the 18th to do some bait fishing and scout out the lower lake for a local tourney. There was alot of bass boat traffic and we fished out of the way places instead of the main lake.
Most of the time we fish in Holmes 210 at night because his deck lighting is a better than mine.
I thought he posted but i think it is time for him to "re-up" his subscription
We quit fishing somewhere after midnight and headed from Buster Boyd Bridge to Ebenezer. We were somewhere down near the nuclear plant in alot of boat traffic when a 21 ft bass boat crossed in front of us. We hit neutral and before we could hit reverse they swerved and their port side hit Homes 210 bow running about 30 or more. He has a bow pulpit with a 29lb anchor that almost hit the passengers head.
The bass boat busted a hole in their hull above the waterline and damage below. They were lucky we stopped or we would have killed all 6 onboar including a 3 yr old.
All are safe but got home real late after investigation with DNR. The DNR issued them a ticket a couple days later-after thorough investigation.
If holmes boat was fiberglass instead of triumph we would have had hole in hull also. It ripped the rub port side rub rail half way down the side, broke the bolts and bent the bow pulpit.
The spot light is now a permanent fixture on the dash and everyone gets a short blast near the water as a warning shot when anchoring or drifting.
Gotta love the Triumphs.

I forgot all good fish stories must contain a pic.

Attachments

• holmes bow.JPG
    holmes bow.JPG
    149.2 KB · Views: 88
Wow! Glad everyone was okay. It is moments like this where Roplene rocks! :)

Glad everyone is okay, I have one question, with all respect intended, was the other boat traveling the same direction, then all of a sudden turned in front of you?? or did you just seen them due to no lights on thier boat. I am just trying to see if this could of been avoided.

Glad everyone is okay, I have one question, with all respect intended, was the other boat traveling the same direction, then all of a sudden turned in front of you?? or did you just seen them due to no lights on thier boat. I am just trying to see if this could of been avoided.

We were traveling south. They were traveling north. We were following two boats at a safe distance. We saw the north bound boat and had a green bow light. He turned directly behind the boats in front of us and drove right into our path. He apparently was looking somewhere else or couldnt see because the number of passengers on his boat.. When we saw his turn and his red bow light we stopped immediately. while we attempted to put in reverse the bass boat swerved at the last minute under power but still hit our bow.
I have seen it in the day and at night where boats try to cut or split between boats under power. This was the case and never should happen.

At night we have a spotlight always scanning the water + I have T-Top Lights on while running that lights up the water pretty good. Glad to hear you both are OK!

Back