Real life bubba test...Truimph is Tough...Glad I didn't buy a fiberglass!!

MZBHAVN

Participating Member
City
Wake Forest
Unfortunately I made a mistake and decide to drop my 215 on the Morehaed City Radio Island Ramp last weekend with the stern about 5' from the water.:eek::eek::eek::eek::mad::mad:

Short version is I pushed it into the water using my trailer and Ford F250. You should have heard the comments from the "gel coat boys", especially when I put the front bumper of my truck on the port side to align the boat with the ramp. They were surprised that I wasn't going to pull it out of the water and instead I got in it and got the heck out of there in about 5 minutes from the time it hit the concrete. Spent 4 hours getting over being mad at myself:mad: and it didn't sink so how bad can the damage be:rolleyes:

Damage was 3" hole at the transom center and gouges along rib lines the entire length of boat, transducer gouged and lower unit scratched (lucky it was still tilted all the way up). This weekend I spent about 1 1/2 hours repairing hole at transom by using about 7' of ropolyne welding rod. As time permits I will work on the rest of the bottom.

Sorry guys no pictures (that I know of) as I didnt want to re-live that experience. If you want to know what the bottom of the boat looks like grab a block of cheese and grater and you will get the idea.

DONT TAKE YOUR BOW STRAP OFF UNTIL YOU WANT THE BOAT OFF THE TRAILER...."TRUST ME":eek:

Glad all is well. More or less. Funny my boat NEVER comes off so easy. I darn near must make her float to come off

Until last weekend that has been my experience for over 20 years with various boats. Even after hearing my story a friend had his skiff slide sooner than wanted today, but at least he got it to the water before it hit too hard.

Blame BP...must be the added oil in the water making it slide easier!

Yikes! SOrry to hear that happened. But glad you have a Triumph! :)

I would say it is a standard ramp, definitely not a shallow creek ramp. What surprised me was this weekend to weld the hole I loosened the strap and simply pushed the boat back until the transom cleared the bunk boards. I was on a very slight incline, maybe because the carpet was wet from using each weekend or maybe it just wants off its trailer:rolleyes:

Back