2008 Honda 135 Died on the water, Kill switch?

Maxg94

Participating Member
Premium Member
City
Middle River
Went out Friday night and got about 1/2 mile from the dock and a couple of spudders and it stopped. Engine cranks but does not seem to get gas or fire. I checked all fuses and all fuel filters were changed and cleaned this spring. I have done a little research and some say a bad kill switch maybe the problem. If it were a clog or bad fuel pump it would not just die. The Honda ignition has the kill switch next to the key etc and two black wires go directly into the kill switch no terminals etc. I cannot check the continuity, but can just cut one and see it that bypasses the switch. If that is not it then more looking into fuel lines, pump etc issues. Any suggestions. Motor has about 400 hrs on it and has run flawless before this.

Thanks

Well I though it was gas, but it maybe spark. I can hear the primer when I turn the key before starting. It sounds exactly the same when I try and start with the kill switch lanyard unhooked. So this got me thinking it maybe just a bad kill switch. I guess not a big deal to cut a wire to see. I always thought this switch created a circuit, but seems it disconnect a loop and that allows the motor to start. A little above my pay grade to understand this logic, but I can cut and see what happens.

give it the ole spark plug test. Pull a plug wire, insert a spark plug, ground the plug.....crank it and check for spark.

I guess you are right. I have those plugs with the Honda long connectors. I could just pull the plug and then put in to the connector and fire up out of the cylinder. I guess the block is the normal ground for the plugs and I would hook a wire to the spark plug threads to ground. No spark with kill switch hooked up maybe problem with the switch. Spark and onto the gas issues next. Boy I am hoping for no spark and simple switch replacement.

Thanks

Ok had a spark so onto the fuel system I went. Took apart fuel water vapor separator and fuel filter cup and cleaned and inspected the small fuel filter. Blew out all lines back to the in-line fuel water separator. Took off the fuel water separator filter and put a new one filled with gas then reconnected the lines. Primped the pump ball and noticed it primmer much better than before and the ball got harder then before. So fired it up and got gas and runs fine. Best guess to the problem is either a clog in the system or hose was loose and let in air not allowing pressure to build up and get gas to the pump. Thanks for the help

Back