Help on Trailer Recall/Mod

Stu

Registered Member
City
Greensboro
Hi folks,

I just purchased a used 2002 190 with a magic tilt trailer. I noticed when the boat is on the trailer about six feet back from the bow the hull has some deflections. I've read several threads about a trailer recall and a mod. Does this apply to my trailer?

Also, when the boat is on the trailer it is impossible to get to the drain plugs, as the area where they are is about 8 inches forward of the end of the center bunks. The previous owner made a drain plug installer/remover out of a piece of pcv pipe. Should the boat be moved back on the trailer? Will it hurt the transom?

Any help anyone can give would be appreciated.

Stu in Georgia

Attachments

• Captured 2005-8-2 00000.JPG
    Captured 2005-8-2 00000.JPG
    45.4 KB · Views: 84
  • Captured 2005-8-2 00002.JPG
    Captured 2005-8-2 00002.JPG
    44.9 KB · Views: 82
Hull deflection

I too have the hull deflections on an 02 -190.I have had the trailer modification ( vee bunk for trailer) added to my trailer which is good to have but it will not help the hull deflections. The hull deflections were caused at the factory on some of the 02 -190's, I personally believe it was a quality control problem in the cooling process. You might as well get used to the deflections because from my experience the factory will not totally admit that it is their fault and therefore they make it so hard to get anything done about it that finnally you just give up and learn to live with the defects.Other than the crooked hull this is the best boat I have ever owned and I love the way it handles and fishes.( It is truly a shame that the factory would rather have the bad publicty these hull deflections generate on their design than to just live up to their promise of a lifetime warranty and fix it like they should.)

The trailer recall (Service Bulletin S-05-003) was for the EZ Loader trailer. The models affected were 2003 and 2004 190's.
FYI
JR

Stu said:
Hi folks,

I just purchased a used 2002 190 with a magic tilt trailer. I noticed when the boat is on the trailer about six feet back from the bow the hull has some deflections. I've read several threads about a trailer recall and a mod. Does this apply to my trailer?

Also, when the boat is on the trailer it is impossible to get to the drain plugs, as the area where they are is about 8 inches forward of the end of the center bunks. The previous owner made a drain plug installer/remover out of a piece of pcv pipe. Should the boat be moved back on the trailer? Will it hurt the transom?

Any help anyone can give would be appreciated.

Stu in Georgia

Stu - I do not completely understand the deflection issue, although it seems that Triumph has attempted to address it with the V-bunk. My 2002 does NOT have hull deflections without the V-bunk - so unless some of the hulls came out of the mold different from others in 02, then I don't understand why some deflect and some don't.

Where are the outer bunks? Unless they are supporting the outer portion of the hull in the correct position, the lower bunks will be deflecting the hull -IMO. My outer bunks are roughly 8" in from the outer edge of the upper keel. I've seen pics on this site of other 190's with those bunks all the way to the edge. That, IMO, would put excessive keel pressure on the inner bunks.

This pic shows the stern cut-out...
190struture.JPG

I would like to see what the bow looks like, however, cannot determine how some of these hulls deflect and others don't. So my theory is that it must be a combination of things...
1) bunk placement on the trailer
2) weight of your bow (batteries in the forward box - water in the hull, etc)
3) problems in the manufacturing process

All this is just my non-engineering opinion as an 02 owner. I posted pics of my upper bunk placement on the old site but they are gone now. Will look to see what I did with them.

Reactions: Stu
Stu - here are some pics of my upper bunk placement. Had to take new photos, couldn't find the old ones. Notice that the upper bunk is at least 8" in from the edge. The fist pic is the front and the second is from the stern.

IMG_0337_2_.JPG

IMG_0339_2_.JPG

Cincinnati,

Thanks for the pics, I'll take a look at my outer trailer bunks and compare. But looks like the outer one's are okay, as they do not go the full length of the hull. The inner bunks do go the full length and are just inside the center line.

This set up was done by Travis Marine in GA, a Triumph dealer, but they are no longer in business in this area, however, I understand they do have other locations throughout the US.

Boat is currently in the water here on Lake Oconee, but when I put back on the trailer this weekend, I'll take some pics and post them.

Again, thanks for the help.

Stu

The concavities are, or caused by, a "thinning" of the inner hull foam and my have resulted in a hollow spot in the concavity. That is where my "crack" developed and Triumph factory warranty took good care of the situation. Foam has to be added if you develop a crack, a simple crack repair will not hold for long. If you have no problem there don't worry about it. Occasional inspection is all that's needed or you can percuss the area with your knuckle to not a hollow spot. Unless a crack is occuring, nothing is needed, except installing an inner hull drain.
As far as the MagicTilt trailer, I did experience a bent or "out of chamber" axle which resulted in severe rapid uneven tire wear and the folks over there also helped out with "at cost" replacements since I was out of warranty. Otherwise, good trailer.

Does anyone have any info/pics of their inner bunks and how they are set up? Also, does your boat "hang" off the end of your bunks or are they flush with the back end or what? I ask because I have seen them set up differently.

cajun

i dont know how well you can tell from this picture , but i repositioned my inner bunks foward to have them be flush with the bottom vee. i made new outer bunks that were longer in the front than the trailer mfg furnished ones.
and had the rear part flush with the transom. the boat came from dealer with a foot of the rear of the boat sitting off the trailer bunks. fortunately i didint see and hull deformation due to this however.
the photos are not the best but they are all i have .. you can see the longer lenght board on the side view shot and the shorter bunks where the drain plugs are.
GGC

Attachments

• DSCF0017.JPG
    DSCF0017.JPG
    124.7 KB · Views: 56
  • DSCF0019.JPG
    DSCF0019.JPG
    121.1 KB · Views: 51
Hi Cincinnati,

Yes I am talking about a 190. If you get some decent weather I would appreciate those pics. I have some deflection in my bow area and I want to be 110% sure its not due to the trailer set up. Thanks for your help.

I hear a lot about the deflection. Is this a problem in the bigger Triumphs? I have a 170 and everything seems to be fine. I'm just hoping I am not going to have problems later on. From what I have read on this site it seems to be an issue on the bigger boats.
Brian K

Hi Special K,

This problem is mostly on the larger & older boats. I don't think I have heard of this on the 17' models.

I only know of deflection issues on the 190, no other boat is affected when properly supported. My particular 190 does NOT deflect.

Cajun, I'll be sure to snap those photos when I can - maybe this weekend. Also, I've noticed that my inner bunks don't run nearly as far forward under the keel as some others I've seen on thise site.

Thanks Cinci, I appreciate your taking the extra photos. I can tell that our bunks are definetly setup differently.

BTW, was that white stuff I saw in one of the photos "SNOW" :eek: on the ground? Yikes ...

Take good care and bundle up.

Thanks again for taking the extra photos, I trully appreciate it.

Back