Contributing Member
Lifetime Member
Premium Member
City
Colonial Heights
State
Virginia
Great site everyone!

Ive been looking to buy a boat since I moved to Colonial Heights, Va from Makakilo, Hawaii about 8 months ago. I live on the Appomattox river and want to buy a boat I can use for either River or Chesapeake Bay fishing. I ran across a great deal on a 2003 190 Bay CC w/115 Yamaha 4stk, and am seriously thinking about buying it.

Are there any particular things I should look at or pay close attention to before I purchase this boat? Problem areas on the hull? Gunwales? Console? Cracks? Warpage?

I have spent the best part of about 5 hours reading the posts here and haven't run across anything specifically.

I'll probably buy a Triumph regardless but I just want to hear if anyone has has any structural problems with this specific year/model.

Thanks for any info and I'm happy to be on board...

Randy

Nocturn,
Welcome to the forum! Can't really tell you much about the model you're looking at but I'm sure somebody will post soon! I think you will be very happy with a Triumph and within no time start doing the mods that you read about on the boards here!

Russ

Thanks Russ.
Ive already started to print out the mods for the boat. I'll probably start with the scupper issue everyone seems to have.

Luckly, I have over 15 years in the Coast Guard as a Damage Controlman so I'll be able to find and fix problems pretty quick, beacuse I know where to look....;)

Thanks again!

Theres a sentiment or whatever out there that Triumph's melt in the sun and get warped out of shape. I've heard it, but don't believe its true if you keep the boat properly supported when trailered, i.e., by not allowing more than a couple inches to extend beyond the bunk supports, especially when left in the hot sun. And I'm guessing its important to stay with the trailer provided by Triumph.

Deltaviller, it is NOT true that you need to stay with the trailer provided by Triumph.

What is CRITICAL is to have the trailer meet or exceed the trailer specifications that Triumph can provide you. The boat needs to be properly supported on the trailer. If you search this web site, you will read about dealers in the past that did not provide the correct trailer and the boats had problem's.

The boats do not melt and do not have a warping problem if they are properly supported using the Triumph specifications. Our trailer did not come from Triumph, but the Triumph folks at the factory did see it and in my opinion were impressed with the construction.

the bunk boards should extend beyond the transom. there should never be any part of the rear not supported by the bunks. this was a problem when some dealers were providing trailers they represented for early models before triumph stepped in and started furnishing complete packages. they didnt understand the need of support or cut corners on packaging the boats with motors and trailers.
GGC

Back