Hours on Yamaha Motor?

jmartin164

Registered Member
Is 400-500 hours too many on a used 01' 200 Hp 2-stroke Yamaha Saltwater Series motor?

Thank you for your input.

Not really,

Here again, how well was it taken care of and (more important) what kind of oil was it ran on for most of its life? My father has about 1500 hours on his old 86 150 Yamaha and runs very well here again, he has ran it on synthetic 2 cycle and gear case oil which has helped a lot...

You should be able to take it to a Yamaha dealer and get a CPU data dump and that could tell you a lot about how the engine has been ran. I know the newer CPUs store how many hours the engine has been ran at each RPM band range which would tell you a lot about what kind of life it has had. I would also want to see any and all service repair orders to help give you a more complete engine history. While there, I would have them check the compresson on all cylinders and ask them what they think of the engine's condation. Might be the best money you ever spent :)

Hope this helps...

Dave

yamaha 80 4 stroke on 170

i just bought this boat and have no experience in props- i think i would like to go with a ssteel any suggestions on the pitch and size of blade?

I've got 245 hours on my 200 Yamaha HPDI, I bought it last year with 145 hours. Already put on 45 hours this year alone in just 2 trips to Cape Cod and Marthas Vineyard (for a week of incredible fishing I might add). Granted many of my hours have been very low rpms fishing rips etc.. I haven't had to do a thing to the motor so far, it runs great, starts every time first try and I consider it just broken in! As already mentioned as long as it was taken care of properly, winterized etc, it should be fine. I would get it tested as Putershark mentioned since someone else was using it.

Back