AstroDiver

Contributing Member
Lifetime Member
Premium Member
City
Menlo
State
GA
Just got this news from the Boat Test e-mail. WOW!!

Yamaha Surprises Miami Boat Show with a New 350-hp Outboard Engine. 2/21/07

While most of the engine makers had a new engine or two to show, Yamaha took a huge bow for its new 350-hp, four stroke EFI engine. And when we say "new" we mean, designed from scratch. According to Phil Dyskow, President of Yamaha, the idea of building a 350-hp unit came to him while fishing with Eddie Smith on the latter's new, 36'Grady-White. Dyskow said that he hopped the first plane he could to Japan and the rest is now history. Designing and tooling a new engine is not easy or cheap, and in all likelihood Yamaha has invested $40 million or more into the unit, say some industry experts. While some parts from other Yamaha engines could be used, Dyskow says that there are over 600 completely new parts in the engine.

The company says that it has 45% more thrust than their 250-hp outboard engine. Company spokesmen said that they could easily envision the new 350s on boats up to 40 feet. With the increased reliability of four-stroke engines and electronics, perhaps these engines will also be used as efficient singles, replacing twin 200-hp motors.

Dyskow says that the engines will be available for commercial shipment this summer.

it would sink his 186. Or rather since triumphs' wont sink,will just pull it under.:)

Imagine---600 New Parts That Could Break!!!! Etecs Looking Better Everyday!!

I am by no means an outboard expert. In fact, I would say I know how to operate one and that is where my knowledge ends; however, why build something this large as an inline-4? Wouldn't it be easier to get this power out of V6 or even bigger? Once you get to a certain size 4 cylinder, doesn't it become as efficient as a V6? I was just curious.

I am by no means an outboard expert. In fact, I would say I know how to operate one and that is where my knowledge ends; however, why build something this large as an inline-4? Wouldn't it be easier to get this power out of V6 or even bigger? Once you get to a certain size 4 cylinder, doesn't it become as efficient as a V6? I was just curious.

Though some small aircraft have large displacement 4 cyl engines this outboard is a V8... http://www.fishingworld.com/News/Read.php?ArtID=000019463

I'm retarded. I originally read the article quickly (and before coffee) and saw four-stroke and it registered as four cylinder. Thanks for the clarification.

Back