Yamaha Model Year Designation

• Thread starter delawaredogfish
  • Start date
D

delawaredogfish

I just learned about the following while picking an engine for my new 190 bay. This is a quote from "power sports business":
I purchased a 2005 designation new engine for about $450 less than the new "no designation model".
helped pay for the chartplotter!
Hope this helps someone.

Yamaha Drops Model Year Designation on Outboards

Powersports Business
Tuesday August 30, 2005

Yamaha Marine has eliminated the model year designation on its outboard motors, a move which may "help reduce the inventory control situation Yamaha's builders and dealers have faced in the past," according to Kennesaw, Ga.-based Yamaha Marine officials.
Yamaha Marine President Phil Dyskow said the move means the "unnecessary burden to match the boat model year with the outboard model year has been eliminated" for boats packaged with Yamaha Outboards.
"On some products, such as automobiles, RVs, airplanes and most boats sold in the U.S.A., a formal model year designation makes sense because most of these products change from year to year," Dyskow said. "Historically, it was common for outboard models to feature new components or changes once each year. However, improvements in outboards thanks to today's new technologies often means outboards usually do not change a single specified date.
"It has become obvious to us at Yamaha that the model year designator for outboard motors no longer brings significant benefit or advantage to the table for the consumer."
Yamaha also says model year designations for outboard motors unfairly affect an outboard's value for the consumer during model year transitions.
"When a dealer placed an order during certain times of the year, it was possible that the dealer could take delivery of boats and motors packaged together with model years that do not match even though the boats and motors are brand new," Dyskow said. "And worst of all, this inventory could include outboard models that are identical with the single exception of the model year designation."
The last digit of the model number for all previously built Yamaha Outboard motors identified the model year code. For example, the "D" in the model number F150TLRD represented a 2005 model year Yamaha Outboard.
The removal of the model year went into effect with all Yamaha Outboards produced from April 1, 2005, forward. As a result of this change, Dyskow strongly recommends that all boat builders and dealers manage their boxed outboards in inventory in a manner that effectively recognizes the order in which they were received.

So if I read this right, they can sell you a motor that is two years old for the same price as a brand new one and you won't know the difference? Something don't sound right to me!

yep thats why it is an inventory control thing. the dealers wont loose money on the older new unsold motors, so they will sell them before ordering new ones...or I believe that is the theory.

As a self-employed person, and from a business perspective, it makes a lot of sense.
From the consumers point of view, it just means higher prices because now there will be no more end-of-model year sales. Conversely, it will also mean higher re-sale or trade in value because now I would think just the number of hours and general condition of the motor will determine it's value. A 7 year old low hour engine in excellent shape, will bring more than a 3 year old, high hour, scratched, nicked, corroded engine.

Just my .02cents

Back