Rinsing an Outboard

Glenn Diver

Registered Member
City
Merritt Island
This year I purchased a 190 Bay and a new Yamaha 150 4-stroke outboard. This is the first outboard I've owned. I use the boat in salt water. The manual says to flush the cooling system after use, which I always do, but the manual says nothing of rinsing the motor itself. My question: How frequently should I remove the Yamaha's engine cover, and rinse off the surfaces of the engine itself? Does it make any difference in reliability or longevity if I rinse under the hood or just leave the engine cover on?
Thanks,
Glenn in Florida

Hi Glenn- most important is the fresh water flush, I never wash the inside of the engine cover. I spray a coat of WD-40 twice a season and than a heavy coat before winter storage. Nice being in florida ( No winter Storage ) but I never knew WD to ruin any engines

Regards
Skip

Motor flush

Glen, I agree with My Half , just flush the engine with freh water for about 15 minutes and you will add lot of years to your yamaha. You should also coat the motor with a light spray of oil,as a rust preventive, doesnt matter if its wd40 or a silicone based spray like CRC.all will work well. Just keep the engine coat light, I also spray the engine cover after I have washed off the salt water spray. the flushing should be done after every use,but spraying the engine just a couple of times during the season and when you winterize it for the end of the year. But then in Florida you dont put it up for the winter do you ?

CFirth

My Half and CFirth -
I thank you both for the replies, which are in agreement!
Hey, performanceoutdoors.net is a great web site and group, and this
played a significant role in my decision to buy a Triumph.
And, no, I don't winterize my boat in Florida...
- Glenn

also try rinsing outboard with salt away.

also try rinsing outboard with salt away.

I take the 3 step process with the Salt Away...
1. Flush the Outboard (I use it as a ending step in the flushing process)
2. Rinse the outside of the engine, the pivot points, and the trailer.
3. Then rinse off your rod and reels.

And if done in the front yard, you can water the grass all at the same time ;)

I also allow God too help me with the salt removal from time to time, by leaving the cover off the boat, power pole, etc, (I keep the engine cowl on of course) and allowing a good afternoon rain become the final (spot free) rinse cycle step. Then bag it all back up after it all dries :D

I take the 3 step process with the Salt Away...
1. Flush the Outboard (I use it as a ending step in the flushing process)
2. Rinse the outside of the engine, the pivot points, and the trailer.
3. Then rinse off your rod and reels.

And if done in the front yard, you can water the grass all at the same time ;)

I also allow God too help me with the salt removal from time to time, by leaving the cover off the boat, power pole, etc, (I keep the engine cowl on of course) and allowing a good afternoon rain become the final (spot free) rinse cycle step. Then bag it all back up after it all dries :D
I use the same 3 steps:) :) :) But the lord does not help me on the o'l natural cleaning. It does not like to rain down here:(

Back