Yamaha Steering Maintenance

Davekfl

Participating Member
City
Bradenton
I have a 60hp Yamaha 4 stroke. Can someone tell me what maintenance they perform on the steering mechanism on the engine. There are two zerk fittings on the arm ( one on each side). What type of grease do you use and how do you know when it is filled? Can you use the same grease that you would use for the trailer bearings? I would hate to have to buy another grease gun but if I must I will. Is there any maintenance on the arm itself? A friend on mine just had to have his Evinrude
pulled from the boat in order to replace a frozen steering arm. Not a inexpensive deal! I want to make sure this doesnt happen to me.
Thanks in advance
Davekfl ( Sarasota, Florida)

Use marine grease....same as your bearings is fine. I installed a bolt with a zerk fitting in it that screws on the end of the aluminum steering tube in order to keep the "freezing up" issue treated. Problem is usually an aluminum tube and a stainless cable with the tube being the lesser of metals, will corrode.

Davekfla,
I had an 04 170CC with a 60hp 4 stroke. I used it strictly in a saltwater environment for 4 seasons. I did not have a grease fitting on the steering rod. I never had a problem with mine freezing up but I did open the rod all the way (by turning the steering to expose the rod) when I washed down the boat and rubbing it with white lithium grease. I also went out weekly and turned the steering back and forth a couple of times during the off season. It only takes one experience with frozen steering to find a way to keep it from happening. "Grease and use" is the sure fire preventative medicine! Hope this helps.
John D.

Since my thank you button still doesnt work... thank you all for your input.
Davekfl

Back