Power Trim and Tilt Fluid / Maintenance

Saltwater Wade

Registered Member
City
Southport
Hello,

I'm fairly new to outboard maintenance. It all seems pretty straight forward using the manual that came with my new 4-stroke 115 Yamaha on my 190 Bay, but I do have a question I'm sure some of you already know the answer to. The manual doesn't cover much at all on the power trim and tilt unit. How do you check fluid level, add fluid, or do any other maintenance on it? The manual is silent other than just inspecting the rods.

Actually the other day while cleaning the engine I notice the little plastic cap that seems to be set up for a big phillips head screwdriver to remove it. I twisted it open a little and the fluid started leaking out. I quickly closed it, but I did lose a little fluid. The engine still trims up and down with no problem though so I assume its okay. I suppose..........

Any feedback from the seasoned members here on how to check and maintain this part of the engine would be appreciated.

Also someone once told me that you can do something to release the hydraulic pressure if the unit fails so you can manually raise up the engine.....would that be done by loosening this cap???

Thanks in advance,

Wade

Service Manual

Wade,

Purchase a service manual. You can get one from Yamaha or you can try e-Bay to find a used one.

The one I purchased from Yamaha for my 70 2-stroke ran about $90 with shipping.

The fluid used on my tilt is transmission fluid, however, it may not be the same for you.

Again, if you are going to fiddle, get the book.

Back