nocturn

Contributing Member
Lifetime Member
Premium Member
City
Colonial Heights
State
Virginia
I searched the site and couldn't find anything concerning the position to stow the engine while my rig is out of the water for the winter.

I have a 190bay with a 2003 Yamaha 115 4sk that is wet from March to late December. During the summer months, I stow the Engine in the "max tilt up" position while not in use. I was told by a friend that I should stow it in the "down" position to keep oil in the gear box. I looked in the manual and it said to keep the engine trimmed up while not in use. So that's what I've been doing with no prob, during the warm months.

My question is, When the boat is trailered, dry and bundled up for winter do I stow the engine max up or at max down?? That same friend told me to stow it down to prevent the lower unit seals from freezing.

What to do?

Naww. Im from Hawaii. I'd much rather go back there. :p

A question for Dick Cabble

I have mine wrapped up in the driveway and I stow it with the motor down because it is outside and I want any water to drain out. In your case with the boat in dry storage, I'm not sure. Hopefully Dick Cabble will give us a dealer and tech opinion. :)

randy --how you gonna catch stripers at oregon inlet if the boat is all wrapped up????!!!!!!!!

It makes me sad everytime I go outside. :( There won't be time for fishing for awhile. I quit my job and started my own company and its nitty-gritty time! :D
But maybe one day fishing for Stripers wouldn't hurt. ;) Let me know when they show up!

Nocturn,
I have a 60hp 4 stroke Yamaha. My manual in the "transporting and storing outboard motor section" states (To prevent problems which can be caused by oil entering the cylinder from the sump, keep the engine in the attitude shown (shown in the down position) when transporting and storing it. It also states in another section if you can't transport it in the down position to use a motor support to stabilize it. I can't imagine Yamaha wanting one engine stored in a different position than another, both being 4 strokes. Like Randy stated , it will also keep water from accumulating in the lower unit which could cause problems in the winter "North of the Mason Dixon line".Good Luck.
John D.

Store your motor in the down position. The block is designed to be self draining. More importantly the lower unit will catch water and could freeze and crack the housing. Dealers love that, since even with a new motor, it's not covered by the warranty.

Dick

Back