Tuna Report

Fishahn

Contributing Member
City
Stowe
Sorry I haven't been on the site much for a while. Been busy with work and fishing as often as possible. My 210 has been parked down near Gloucester, MA for about a month now. Been out for tuna(Bluefin) about 6 times, we've landed 8 now and lost a few others. Largest one was 48" CFL, others all around 40". Boat is still there, hope to hit it once more before I haul her home for the winter. The boat has performed great and the 200 HPDI hasn't had a glitch yet(knock on wood), now has 410 hours on it.
Did have a disaster with the trailer blowing up off the ball while on highway doing about 45 mph, but that is another story. Everything worked out ok, had to repair trailer, boat was fine and truck was fine! I think the cause was operator error, in that I may have forgot to put pin in, it was 4:45 am and I had a bit to drink the night before, but not positive that was it.

Attachments

• Tuna Aug 06 b008.jpg
    Tuna Aug 06 b008.jpg
    33.6 KB · Views: 51
nice size tuna there.... I have yet to land a tuna this year, or even last year. Now it was not from the lack of trying. I have managed to get some yellowtail, and Dodo's.
as for the hick up, glad no damage or injuries accurred.

tuna

Fishahn,
How are you? Looks like we have the same boat from what I can see. Nice tuna! I fish the Cape and the Bay. Always dreamed of catching one but don't know where to start. Can you offer some advice?

Thank you,
Jack

jackattack,
I'd be happy to share some intel, I learned alot on my own just reading sites and asking questions. Reel-time is a great website, learned a ton from it. they now have a section just for tuna.

what type of boat and where do you fish out of? There are still tuna around especially in the bay, I've heard you don't have to go far right now to find them. you definitely need some good gear, when casting to them which you can do now, I use a Penn 9500 with 50 lb braid and a 40 lb fluoro leader connected with a slim beauty knot. YoZuri Hydro poppers or pencils work good, I change the trebles to tough single hooks, ask the tackle shop and buy yourself a split ring tool, its a big help for this. sometimes they dont take the popper and you can use metals, crippled herring type things.

sometimes we troll, lots of guys troll squid bars, I havent yet, usually troll green machine with bird combo or diving plugs. fishermans outfitter is a great shop in Plymouth near you.

good luck.

Tuna

Fishahn,
Thanks for the tips. I will check out that site. I have a Logic 210CC w/Honda 130 4S. I fish mainly out of Plymouth Harbor. On a day with good weather I"m to Race Point in about an hour. I also spend the 1st week of July in Truro every year. Is that to early for Tuna? I need to gear up I definitely don't have anything to handle Tuna.

Thanks Jack

jack,
no July can be good for tuna off Chatham, about 10 - 15 miles due east off Chatham is the best spot, at least the last few years. I never made it there this year but did last year. It is mostly trolling in July and August for that matter, but can be awesome!!

I went out of Plymouth a few times this year, it is pretty nice there! How is the boat with the 130hp, I like the 200hp, no problems getting on plane and top speed is mid to upper 40's depending on load and which prop I run. Race Pt could be a half hour in flat conditions for me!

hoping to get out one more time out of Gloucester weather permitting!

good luck, keep in touch

I don't always monitor this site, here's my work email : [email protected]

tuna

Sent a response to your e-mail not sure if it went though? If you didn't let me know.

Jack

Fishahn, 10-4-06
Tried your e-mail but delivery failed 2 times. I like the 130 I get 40 mph top speed. Its funny you mentioned Chatham my buddy chartered a boat out of there last weekend. They caught tuna 15 miles out halfway to P-Town. I'm glad the tuna are there in the summer its going to make this years vacation even better.

Is tnc.together.com correct

Back