F115B TRIM PROBLEM

jk1

Registered Member
State
va
Have an '03 190 bay with a F115 yammy, that trim wouldn't go down. Went fishing Monday eve, did fine. Left docked in water overnight with tilt up. Had a little light rain over night, not that that matters. Next morning tilt goes down fine, when starts to trim down, sounds like something binding. Could hear motor running but not trimming down. Trim rods would just barely move. Same results with both switches. Acted like hydraulic fluid not allowed to return to reservoir or something. Long story short, loaded on trailer, gave it an hour ride home. Before I tried to work trim again, I tilted all the way up, excersized a trim sensor lever on starboard side. Cracked loose a fluid cap and fluid started seeping. tightened that back up. Been working fine ever since! Any one have a clue what was going on with this? Boat is a recent purchase and repair manual is on the way. Still would like to take it out this weekend. Kind of leary since not sure what the cause was. Motor only has 157hr. trim rods look perfect. Is 15 years old. stuff happens.

Others will give you better answers, but maybe just air in there. I am getting a little grinding noise and am going to open up, check the fluid and work out the air etc. this weekend. Go online and there are videos of filling and putting the engine up and down to work out the air etc.

I suspect, much like any electrical device with an armature (alternator, starter, etc) it has developed a flat spot on #3 below, or crud on one of the brushes #11 that when it got bounced around some (aka the technical tap) you cleared that spot and it started working better ;)

Only a matter of time before you land on that same spot again though. If possible and my disclaimer: I have never had one apart (nor have I done it on TV :p) but you may be able to open it up and use some electrical contact cleaner to remove that crud and buy you some time... But that is all, she is going to need to be replaced since as they say which also applies to any device... "Time nor Tide waits for no Man" It is 15 years old and more than likely developed that "flat spot" from setting too long.

I recommend, taking a small hard rubber hammer / mallet with you in case it "sticks" again so if it does, you can then manually and semi gently give her the "Technical Tap" and see if it starts working again? ;) Also check all your grounds and battery connections (including at the battery switch) since a drop in current can produce the same effects.

2009-11-01_034511_YamahaTT.jpg

Hope this helps?

Dave

Thanks for the input, Max & Dave. Probably make sure fluid is ok and no air first. As mentioned I could hear pump running when it happened, but sounded like fluid was trapped {dead headed} or something, so don't feel it was electrical or pump motor. Just wish it wasn't intermittent. Thanks for the advice and the illustration. I'll complete the post with a resolution if I figure a definent cause.

Back