Johnson / Suzuki Trim switch problems

Perdido Key

Registered Member
City
Sylacauga
I have a 2004 Johnson (made by Suzuki) 115Hp four stroke. The engine only has 140 hrs and the shifter control trim switch has gone out for the second time. The motor mounted switch works fine. It seems the actual switch buttons go bad. When the switch was changed last summer it appeared to be a new design since the old one had black "buttons" and the new has red.
I am thinking of replacing it with the universal steering wheel mounted switch from Cabelas. I am not sure who makes the actual shifter control unit since it is not shown or described in my factory Johnson shop manual. Does Triumph buy the shifter unit from a third party?
Just trying to check and see how many others are having trouble on Johnson or Suzuki motors??? Thanks

I have an '04 Suzuki 140 4S with the factory shifter. Still on the original trim switch, no problems yet. (Mine is black)

codfish

my '04 140 has a defective trim sending unit but the trim switch on the console is still working fine----thought i saw this topic somewhere else earlier or maybe on another site. btw the sending unit will be replaced under warranty when i get to 100 hrs checkup.
GGC

I went through 2 of these very same switches on the 140 & that was really the only problem I had with this motor. (mine where black)

Thanks for the help guys. I have ordered but not installed an after market trim switch from Bass Pro that will mount on the dash or shifter box via two screws.

http://www.basspro.com/servlet/cata...ceid= &cmCat=SEARCHRESULTS

Its item # 28-502-322-00 in their 2006 catalog.
When I replaced the OEM switch the connector plug under the console came apart to allow me to install the new wires into the plug without splicing etc

Last I knew they had a recall , Yamaha also did. I checked and thought it was on the larger OB's only contact the factory on this for recall notices

Back