Hull deformation

richardbfin

Participating Member
State
UT
I would appreciate your opinions on this situation. I bought this 2003 210 CC for $2,000 AS IS and sight unseen (I know! I know!), so that’s the starting point. The boat has been in a rental fleet. How indestructible is ropalene really? My fishing grounds are lakes and reservoirs in Utah and Idaho for the most part (i.e. not going 60 miles offshore). Also, this is not by my first boat rodeo. Have been playing and working on boats my whole life, currenty running a 25’ sailboat, 16’ fishing boat, 23’ wakesurf boat, 23’ runabout. Have owned a few 36’ sailboats. I’ve spent all of my money on boats and slip fees, the rest I just wasted, right?

It has been stored on the trailer as shown for at least two years in the Lake Powell Arizona heat. July highs are 97+, lows 70+. 90+ for at least 4 months. Not sure how ambient temperature affect ropalene when stored in a deformed shape.

A few questions, with notes on the photos.

Is that a through hull?

Is that a hull transition, or a permanent deformation?

Hull is deformed on bunk, will that rest out?

Roughness on hull aft.

Bow is stored on a point load roller, which is bad from everything I’ve read. Where would the dreaded bow cracks appear due to improper rack/bunk storage?

I have a trailer lined up to put it on. In researching online it has been mentioned that specs might be available for creating the proper trailer bunk configuration? Can anyone point me in that direction?

Thanks in advance!

-Richard

Attachments

• Untitled 2.jpg
    Untitled 2.jpg
    205.4 KB · Views: 48
  • Untitled 4.jpg
    Untitled 4.jpg
    101.3 KB · Views: 40
  • 20221123_101941.jpg
    20221123_101941.jpg
    323.5 KB · Views: 44
  • 20221123_101948.jpg
    20221123_101948.jpg
    415.9 KB · Views: 41
  • 20221123_102020.jpg
    20221123_102020.jpg
    540.5 KB · Views: 41
  • 20221123_102002.jpg
    20221123_102002.jpg
    450 KB · Views: 46
You can download the trailer schematic here https://www.performanceoutdoors.net/resources/triumph-210-215-trailer-schematic.5/

Not sure what that bulge is on your last post. That IS a through-hull that you asked about, probably intake for the baitwell/washdown. Definitely some deformations you're going to have to deal with, and getting on a proper trailer might help a little over time. Hopefully the deformations, even though not necessarily working out completely, won't deter you're boating too much. The Roplene is tough. Hopefully will only affect things like top speed. Some of the roughness can probably be sanded out. I would suggest that you contact Merritt Marine in Hillsborough, NC with questions. They'll be your best resource for answers. https://merrittmarine.com/

And welcome aboard!!

Last edited:
Mike, thank you for your reply and the references to the trailer layout and to Merrit Marine. I'll get in contact with them.

Best,

-Richard

Hi there Richard,

Looks to me that your boat is sitting on it's original trailer. The bunks are shot for sure. I am guessing the hull deformation is due to the heat where the boat has been stored. The front keel roller is a mod done to the trailer and that is leading to the deformation there. My factory trailer has no keel roller or support forward of the four linear bunks. The 4 bunks stop where the hull begins to rise toward the bow. There should be 2 small bunk pads on either side of the keel right at the rear of the hull. They assist in supporting the weight of the outboard motor. The trailer schematic will confirm this.

I would not be surprised if the hull lost some of the deflection once it sits for a while on a properly set up trailer. The plastic does have an amount of memory that could "spring" back if properly supported.

The thru hull is definitely your live well/washdown supply.

The roughness looks like it may be from a sloppy job of power washing the hull. One of the photos shows power wash indication around the bunk.

The small bumps/protrusions you ask about are located on both sides, approximately at the rear of the in floor fish boxes. When I installed thru hull drains in my fish boxes, I found the holes I drilled were just behind the 4 bumps. Based on the shape and location, I am guessing they were originally meant to be water deflectors for planned drain holes that were abandoned by the factory. Other than that, they are useless bumps.

You ask about the toughness of these boats. Mine is now 18 years old. It has been outside most of it's life, covered and uncovered. I can see no change in color and there have been no cracks form anywhere. I use the boat a lot. The boat is TOUGH. As much as the original ads indicated.

If your boat has been neglected, you will likely have some work to do but it will be worth it.

Codfish, thank you for the reply and the info. Glad to know that bubble on the hull is on both sides and standard. Yes, I'm hoping putting on a correctly configured trailer will help the boat rest back into a better hull shape. Glad to hear they are as tough as advertised.

I am going to start a new thread related to setting up the trailer that I picked up cheap that I will need to modify for the boat.

Merritt marine also has a DVD that is invaluable to the longevity of the boat. Shows how to take care of the hull and the rest of the boat. Have a '01 210 that fell into the category of never being taken care of. Also check out the floor cavities lnside on the hull for deformations. Ask me how I know.

I just ordered a DVD off this site... "Maintenance and Modifications for Triumph Boat Owners”. Merrit also has one? I can use all the info I can get. Will look for those deformations... and report back just in case anyone is interested.

Sorry, guys from Merritt did the DVD.

Back