Humminbird 788c Combo problem on new Triumph

J Healy

Registered Member
City
Boston
The 2010 Triumph I purchased this year was previously owned by a gentleman who, after 2 months, decided to buy a larger model. The only electronic instrument he mounted on the boat was a Humminbird 788c combination fishfinder and GPS. When I added a VHF radio, I got a lot of electrical noise in the VHF whenever the Humminbird was turned on. I put the Humminbird on a separate battery and added a noise filter to the hot wire leading to the radio. Still got a lot of noise. I contacted Humminbird. They said I need to send the instrument back to them in Alabama for an internal fix that will eliminate the problem. Although the unit is less than a year old, the warranty will not cover this fix since I am not the original owner. It will cost me $188.95 plus shipping. My only suggestion is that if you install a Humminbird and have this problem, be sure you registered the warranty and have the receipt, or it will cost you big time.

I have the same combo you speak of on a 195CC and have not experienced any problems. Just curious for future reference, does your 788c have an internal or external GPS antenna? Mine is external with the GPS antenna mounted on the port rear of the T-Top and the VHF antenna mounted on the starboard side of the T-Top toward the front. The Radio and Humminbird are mounted within about a foot of each other inside the console.

It is external. The previous owner cut a hole in the console and mounted the GPS antenna about six inches to the right of where the compass would be (if he had thought about mounting a compass). I still get good reception, though. The VHF antenna is on the starboard side of the T Top. Anyway, we get a lot of fog around Boston, so I like the GPS and we also added a Furuno radar. And, of course, there is now a compass. The VHF is now mounted about a foot above the Humminbird unit. The radar head is right next to the Humminbird. Neither the radio nor the radar affect the GPS. The GPS only affects the radio.

Mmmm, I had a similar problem with my VHF vs. Depth Sounder and GPS. Somewhere on this site, you will find a thread about my exploits on this matter. Try a search for it, if not, I'll find it.

Look in the 170CC section. I'll try to find it later.

Healy,
Ya know, even though electronics is supposed to be an exact science......it isn't. You could be chasing that interference forever. This is what I think of VHF's. Alot of useless chatter. Here's an option. Turn it off until you need it and then just leave the GPS off when it's operating.

Back