Hydofoil Question

J

jconstab

I was thinking about getting a hydrofoil, specifically looking at the Doel Fin. I have experienced problems getting up on plane with 2-3 people on the boat, especially in choppy water. Usually I can have someone move up to the front of the boat to get in on plane but its a hassle.

Does anyone have experience with hydrofoils with a similar setup (17 ft cc w/50hp 4 stroke Yamaha) If so, what are your thoughts? Did it help with getting on plane, reduce/increase fuel consuption, or effect speed performance in any way?

jconstab,
I had a 60HP Yamaha 4 stroke on my 170CC Triumph. I put a "Bobs machine shop stabilizer plate on my outboard motor. It made a big difference in the time to plane , but the biggest change was in the lower planing speed. I could go slower on rough days and still plane. The price is about the same as a doelfin and it is smaller which looks a lot better than the whale tail look of a doelfin. Check it out at bobs machine shop.com and read the posts on this site about it. Good luck.
John D.

I have a 195cc and put a Bob's stabalizer plat on mine too. Very happy with overall peformance. It also cut down on the ocilating back and forth at slow speeds.

Thanks Puttershark. Didn't realize this topic was already well covered. BTW, only one more day of exams and I'm free for a month so let me know if you want to do some fishing.

Bet you are happy about that Brother :D
And not only do we need to take in some fishing, we need to get started on your upgade list so let me know (send me a PM) and we can knock out a few of those items also :cool:

Overtons sells a "clamp on" model now, no holes to drill thru the cav plate. Mines on order. $119 +S/H

Like the Sport SE model, wider rolled edges so it won't cut fishing lines

Carefull Eric G,

The first person to do a review of that foil on Overtons website was critical of it ...

"By Craig from Nashville, TN on 11/7/2007
Bottom Line:
No, I would not recommend this to a friend

I liked the idea of not drilling holes in cavity plate. Foil went on easy and did all that it claims. Took boat out to winterize and noticed it was cracked in 3 areas. Foil is held on by dropping gearcase anode then sliding foil over cavity plate then you rebolt anode. Plastic that is used to secure to anode is weak and doesn't hold up to pressure. Apears other purchasers on other web sites lost the foil,and anode plate during use. Some had prop damage."

http://www.overtons.com/modperl/pro...00_hp&cname=Hydrofoils&r=view&i=76008&aID=23A

I use the SE 300 plate from Cabela's and have been quite happy with it, it stabilizes and gives a bunch of lift so you can actually run slower while up on a plane.

Mine required that I drill 4 holes in the cav plate...Once I quit being a wuiss about drilling the motor it was easy. :)

I did grease the holes and bolts with blue grease just in case there was corrosion.

jconstab,
I had a 60HP Yamaha 4 stroke on my 170CC Triumph. I put a "Bobs machine shop stabilizer plate on my outboard motor. It made a big difference in the time to plane , but the biggest change was in the lower planing speed. I could go slower on rough days and still plane. The price is about the same as a doelfin and it is smaller which looks a lot better than the whale tail look of a doelfin. Check it out at bobs machine shop.com and read the posts on this site about it. Good luck.
John D.
Hello fridaysoff, what was that web site for Bobs machine shop stabilizer plate again?

BT Stabilizer

Jconstab,
I just put the Bob's Machine stabilizer plate on my 170CC. Haven't had a chance to try it. The wife and I will be in SH Feb 25 - March 15. Would really like a fishing lesson. If you wait 'til then you can see how it works. I'll take it to a lake up here before we head down, I'll give you a review.

Let me know
PW

Hi All,
Thought I would put my 2 cents worth in:). I am currently running the Australian ABT MiniBucks Tournament, and I have Kipawa (trolling Motor Props) as a sponsor. He sent me out a new Hydro-Shield and it looks very interesting. www.hydro-shield.com The concept makes perfect sense as it is a hydrofoil that is fitted Below the prop. Its attached to the skeg and it also protects the prop and skeg from damage. Also being under the prop it is always affective even when on full plane (foil always fully in water). Could be very useful even if it just protects the prop and marine life. Anyway just thought I would share it with you all and maybe someone has already tried it?? Let me know

Cheers
Ozy Mark....

Back