Picked up the new 17CC

billyjoebob3312

Registered Member
City
Eden
Hey Guys,
The wife and I picked up our new 17cc tow weeks ago. Finally was able to get it into the water last Saturday. Windy & choppy but we still launched anyway. I have a Yamaha 60 4 stroke on her and I could tell as soon as I turned the key I will love it.
We went from a 21ft Wellcraft w/260 Mercruiser (12-15GPH) to the 17CC. Can anyone give me an idea how much fuel I will burn. The dealer said cruise around 3GPH is this accurate?
When we started off I trimed the motor all the way down after getting up on a plane I only had to adjust the motor maybe an inch up (if that much). Is this normal? She seamed to be planing good with the bow wave a little forward of the counsel. I was rough and we were getting pounded pretty good. Next time I hope to have some smooth water.
Any advise you all could lend would be appreciated.
BJB

Congratulations on the new 170! With the conditions you stated, what you did sounds fine to me. Invariably, how much you need to trim up the engine is a factor of the wind, sea conditions, weight, etc. I think with some better conditiions and more time at the helm of a new boat, you will be finding the "sweet spot" with your eyes closed (just a figure of speech)!!

These are great handling boats with a good hull design to maximize fuel usage. Others on the site can give more accurate info on the GPH.

Enjoy the new boat...John

170cc

Hi BJB,

Congrats on the new boat. I have a 170CC with a 70HP Yamaha 2 stroke. I wanted the 2 stroke for lighter weight on the transom. I dive and fish off the boat so I tried to reduce weight any way I could.

My motor gets about 3.8 MPG. However, MPG is dependent on whether you're on plane or not. For the 3.8 MPG, I was pushing about 2,000 RPM doing about 7 knots. Why? Because, there are speed limits in the Intracoastal during parts of the year down in South Florida. Runing the boat in displacement mode (off plane but higher than idle speed) uses the most fuel, next to WOT. My boat will plane at about 3,500 RPM and 15 Knots. From the performance reports on the Yamaha web site, I'll get the best MPG at about 4,000 RPM. I haven't had a chance to try out all the different combinations yet (RPM vs. SPEED vs. Planing speed). When I do, I'll post them.

Also, prop pitch will affect everything. I started with a 13 1/2 x 15 but was turning about 6,000 RPM. The engine rating is 70HP at 5,500 RPM. I changed props to a 13 1/4 x 17 and reduced top RPM to 5,500.

BJB,
I had the same set up that you have. I did not run the boat at WOT a lot but used the power when I needed it. I think I got an average of 7 MPG out of my 60hp 4 stroke. It was a great boat and motor combination.I moved up to the 195CC and sometimes I wish I still had the 170CC especially at the gas pump.Good luck with your new toy.I know you will enjoy it.
John D.

Gph

I have a 170 CC With a 60hp yamaha 2 stroke. I'm not sure what my rpm is (tach ain't working and haven't had time to fix it.), but at 30 mph through calm water with 2 adults + gear I seem to be burning 3.5-4 gph. Your 4 stroke should be a little more effecient. Hope this helps

Frank

I have the 170cc with a 75 Yami 4 stroke. I have only had it since March and have been out about 10 times with the majority of it slow trolling and have only used a 1/2 tank of gas. I don't have any idea what my burn rate is.

Back