New Guy On The Block

B

billyjoebob

Hi, Guys,
I am the owner of a 21"Wellcraft with a big V8 in her. (Approx 12 gal. hour) The wife and I are looking to downsize. I saw a Triumph at a Local show and liked it. We went to the local dealer to check them out. We are considering the 17CC. The dealer suggested a 60 HP Yamaha four stroke.
Please let me know any information you all feel I should know.
We do our boating on the Chesapeake Bay. It can get pretty choppy out there... Can a 17 footer handle it?
Any coments will be appreciated...
Thanks, Bill

Hi, Guys,
I am the owner of a 21"Wellcraft with a big V8 in her. (Approx 12 gal. hour) The wife and I are looking to downsize. I saw a Triumph at a Local show and liked it. We went to the local dealer to check them out. We are considering the 17CC. The dealer suggested a 60 HP Yamaha four stroke.
Please let me know any information you all feel I should know.
We do our boating on the Chesapeake Bay. It can get pretty choppy out there... Can a 17 footer handle it?
Any coments will be appreciated...
Thanks, Bill
Bill,
The 170CC can handle it, can you? I fish the Potomac River mostly in my 170CC and it handles the chop very well. However, I have been on the Bay in a 52' and was thrown all over the place. You will have to pick your days. You may want to look at the 195CC...it's made to handle the bigger water.

If you're set on the 170CC, it's a great boat and the 60 will push it nicely. I have a 2-stroke 60 on mine...a little lighter than the 4 strokes so you're performance will vary a little. I would recommend that you take a test ride in a setup exactly like what you are looking to buy...that way you will know if it's what you want. Good luck with your search and feel free to ask any specific questions you may have.

Tight lines.

Hey BillyJoeBob,
We have one summer with our 170CC with a 60 Yamaha. It has been on Lake of the Ozarks, Kentucky Lake and Lake Erie among others and I have never felt unsafe. I put a set of Doelfins on the outboard which helped with the time-to-plane and the control at lower speeds. Cut into the top end, but I'm not a WOT much of the time anyway. My dealer had just returned from a Triumph get-together of some sort and mentioned that many dealers are installing the SmarTabs on that boat/motor combo.
My wife and I came from the other end of the boating spectrum (Yamaha Waverunner) but are getting used to the slower speeds. Like cagrove suggests, test that combo if at all possible.

I actually enjoyed the ride on Lake Erie in the swells (2-4') more than the small windy chop on the local lake.

I bought a 170CC pending a test ride the following day (dealer had to put t in the water). I took it out on a very choppy day and I felt it handled it very well. When I took it back in, they had a 195CC in the water...so I decided to take it out. Big difference. I have young kids and felt that the 195 was a little bit safer.

Even though I might have been the "victim" of a bait & switch...you are only a victim if you believe you were wronged. :D

Back