Hydraulic Disc Brake Conversion

Barry

Registered Member
City
White Plains
I have a 2004 Triumph 210 on a ez load trailer with hydraulic drum drakes. I would like to convert to disc brakes and would like some suggestions. In the past I had installed Tie Down disc brake kit on an older boat trailer with marginal results. My current combination is used in salt water, but only a few times a year. The balance of the boating season the boat is kept on a boat lift.

Barry

Barry, what do you use to tow your boat? If your tow vehicle is large enough, I would remove the drum brakes and for go any brakes at all, including discs. I have used every type of disc brakes and no matter how much you attempt to flush them after dunking, they will eventually begin to seize up or drag. The next time mine fail, I'm removing them for good.
Added note: Of course, I'm only suggesting this for use in salt water. Fresh water use may not have such an adverse effect.

MD law requires brakes on all trailers with a weight of 3000 lbs or more (including load) and trailers of less than 3,000 lbs when the total weight on and including the wheels is greater than 40% of the GVWR of the tow vehicle or the combined vehicle cannot meet the state's minimum performance requirements.

Most trailer manufacturers recommend some form of supplemental braking for trailer weights above 1000 lbs, although the necessity of this recommendation is debatable.

That said, Barry, I would recommend contacting your local ez-loader dealer for their advice. If you don't mind a long-distance phone call, Bob's Boat Trailer down here will be more than willing to help you out. They can be reached at (757) 857-6878.

And after you install newer electric disk brakes which I hear work the best. The idea of using a plastic weed killer can with a mixture of fresh water and Salt Away to rinse off the brakes right after you pull the trailer out of the water and go park, should help.

You can also (if you want to take the extra time and have a facet at the ramp naturally) use a full trailer rinse system like this ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wTI9KnVgnRM

That is one product that lives up to its name :D

My disc brakes were removed when the hydraulic line broke and discs totally corroded. Pull mine with a Toy Tundra and so far no issues, been a full season without. Pretty flat here in SE NE....

Barry
I replaced all four disk brakes, brake lines, and hydraulic system on my ez loader trailer this year. One brake seized up and in the process of replacing that one I realized that the entire system needed replacement. One thing led to another and I replaced the entire system. I flush with salt eliminator, but over time I am sure the current system will need to be replaced. I hope I do not have to replace the hydraulic accuator again. Buy the best calipers (stain less steel) it might help.
Dave

You know some boat and trailer combos are set up (and lower to the road) so you do not have to dunk one so deep to get it to float off and as such (naturally) the axes are not getting dunked in Salt Water all the time.

Now much harder to do this on larger boats, but for the costs of repairing brakes all the time, maybe adding a third axle minus the braking system further aft on the trailer, and then spreading the other two (or one with the brakes) out and further forward would be something to consider? Could save on this headache and the money spent on brakes over the long haul.

The only thing to keep in mind as you start adding and moving axles around is to maintain the correct % of tongue weight so it does not fish tail when getting towed, but maybe a project some may want to try or have a trailer builder look into for you with your present combo?

Hey Barry - figured I had to reply to a namesake. I have a 2003 210 and in 2009 I replaced my corroded and partially seized Tie Down drum brakes with Kodiak Disc Brakes. All four wheels ($430). I also replaced the actuator - went with UFP ($260). I did all the install myself - not real difficult - but even so a big chunk of change. I do my best at rinsing them and have used the garden sprayer with salt away about 1/3 of the time after launch. I feel I need the braking with my fairly light 6 banger Tundra. But I figure I'll prolly only get 7-8 years our of the brakes - too much use in Salt..

Good luck.....Barry "Bite Me"

Back