I have a question about my 150 HP Merc outboard opti-max salt water series

jleonard9708

Registered Member
City
Pembroke
Hey all:

I have a deposit on a 210 CC (2002) has a (2003) Merc 150 HP Outboard - Opti-Max Salt Water series. The engine has 195 hours on it. I was suppose to pick it today but ran into a problem.

When the dealer / broker went to show me that the engine was in good running shape, today he put a set of 'muffs' on it and running a hose, then started the engine up. i should note that it hasn't been started since it was winterized last fall. The engine started up no problem, but 'sputtered' quite a bit. Ran it for 5 minutes or so, but the sputtering continued. He has agreed to change the filters on it.

Here's my question ... The dealer / broker told us that 2 stroke engines run very differently when connected to a set of muffs with a hose, than it will when it's actually in the water because of lack of 'back pressure'. I was told it would 'smooth' out when the boat is actually in the water. Is this a true statement?

The last thing I'd ask advice on is ... "is it an industry accepted standard" to charge for a sea trial? This dealer / broker wants $150 for a sea trial. Would any one agree or disagree.

Please advise!

Thanks,

John

I do not have a big 2 stroke motor, how ever I have two 9.9 and they do not run any different in the water or with ear muffs. I would not let them just say that.It may just be water in the tank from condensation. I would Have them do a complete tune up & replace the fuel pump as well.

That makes a lot of sense. The tank unfortunately was not filled before being winterized, becuase I noticed today it had (48) gallons left in the (70) gallon tank.

Thanks for the advice.

John

Take the sea trial...and have them put the $150 toward the sale of the boat. You will not know how the lower unit performs with just muffs. Put that thing in the water and run it like you own it. That's the only way to make sure you know what you're buying.

Chuck:

I'll be speaking with the guy tomorrow if not Monday. You offer good advice. I believe its worthy of following. I like the strategy of applying the cost towards the purchase as well.

Thanks so much.

John

I would fully expect an engine to run rough on the muffs that has been setting and would expect such until it got to FOT (Full Operating Temperature) and have the thermostats open up which on muffs at idle, may take some time...

So running it on the water is your best bet. As far was moisture in the tank is concerned, boat fuel tanks (unlike your car) are generally not sealed and as such it does "not" matter how much fuel is left in one when not being ran it is still going to collect such and still will while running. With E-10 fuels moisture will always collect, and this is why you need to add the correct fuel additives to combat such and I recommend a product like Star Tron

Tons of information on that product (which by the way is not going to correct issues in 5 minuets and needs time to set in the fuel) can be found here

Star Tron Enzyme Fuel Treatment - HOME

And I think many if not everybody here (though poorly recorded I agree) needs to view this video to understand how this moisture collects and how past ways to combat such issues, just do not work today with E-10 fuels and open fuel systems.

YouTube - How Ethanol Gas Attracts Water from the Air - Demonstration

Back