150 Opti Max (2003) sputtering???

jleonard9708

Registered Member
City
Pembroke
Hey all:

I have a deposit on a 210 CC (2002) has a (2003) Merc 150 HP Outboard - Opti-Max Salt Water series. The engine has 195 hours on it. I was suppose to pick it today but ran into a problem.

When the dealer / broker went to show me that the engine was in good running shape, today he put a set of 'muffs' on it and running a hose, then started the engine up. i should note that it hasn't been started since it was winterized last fall. The engine started up no problem, but 'sputtered' quite a bit. Ran it for 5 minutes or so, but the sputtering continued. He has agreed to change the filters on it.

Here's my question ... The dealer / broker told us that 2 stroke engines run very differently when connected to a set of muffs with a hose, than it will when it's actually in the water because of lack of 'back pressure'. I was told it would 'smooth' out when the boat is actually in the water. Is this a true statement?

The last thing I'd ask advice on is ... "is it an industry accepted standard" to charge for a sea trial? This dealer / broker wants $150 for a sea trial. Would any one agree or disagree.

Please advise!

Thanks,

John

I've never heard of charging for a sea trial but in these economic times I guess anything is fair game. However, I would not buy a boat without a sea trial. You always have the option of walking away. If the $150 for the sea trial was put toward the cost of the boat I wouldn't have a problem with that at all. After all, the dealer's time is worth something also.

BTW...I have a 2 stroke engine and it runs the same with muffs or in the water...I would definitely want to run it in the water even if it ran great on the muffs. You never know how the lower unit is until you put it in gear.

Good luck.

Chuck:

You mention in this post, "the lower unit" as being a possible suspect of the 'sputtering'. What makes you thing that versus something else.

Please reply.

John

John, I think Chuck meant that he would want to see the lower unit perform to make sure all is well.I too reccomend a sea trial.It may be the best $150 you spend on that boat/motor. If it ran rough on the muffs I would not buy it without seeing it perform under normal running conditions. Its possible that it has sit up for a long time with ethenol gas in the tank and it has separated and could have caused serious problems with the engine.I would pay the man $150 and run the boat for at least an hour,stopping and going constantly. You may be glad you did. Good luck.
John

John:

Thanks for the explanation. It just might be the issue. The boat was taken as a trade in from a gentlemen in his late 70's who used it in
Lake Winnipesauke, NH. He lived on a island there and decided he needed a small cuddy cabin boat becuase it was his only way of transporting groceries and homegoods etc ... and he was subject to weather (rain, wind etc...) as was tired of getting wet.
The broker selling the boat was kind of stumped when the engine started no problem but ran rough with all the sputtering. He was personally going to change the filters today, and then get hos mechanic and go for sea trial himself.
I will proably call him later today / or e-mail him with my own request to take it for a sea trial and pay the $150. This way I see it for myself. And as agreed by you and others on this forum, the sea trail is a very good way to uncover how the engine will actually perform under all kinds of circumstances.
If it works out -- it cost me $150 for some piece of mind knowing 1st hand that it performed well. If it doesn't, then I will be out of $150 but that is also piece of mind knowing I didn't buy some else's problems.
I do believe that the boat has sat for a while as you mentioned; and it is possible that the ethenol may have seperated, or condensation resulted from the tank not being full.
I appreciate your advice, as I do Chuck's.
I'll tell the best investment I have made is my $15 membership fee to become a member of this forum. Your advice along with Chuck's and several others on the subject have already paid big dividends n my opinion. It's a great owner's forum!
Thanks all.

John

I would also have them go ahead and replace the water pump impeller or from setting so long in the same position, is going to fail in short order and not long after you get it ;)

We also have posted a buyers checklist of items to review which may come in handy. I believe it is located in the General section and is a "stuck" thread near the top of that forum.

Dave:

Like i said ... it's a great forum. I already found this and printed it out. Thanks for the advice!

John

John, I think Chuck meant that he would want to see the lower unit perform to make sure all is well.I too reccomend a sea trial.It may be the best $150 you spend on that boat/motor. If it ran rough on the muffs I would not buy it without seeing it perform under normal running conditions. Its possible that it has sit up for a long time with ethenol gas in the tank and it has separated and could have caused serious problems with the engine.I would pay the man $150 and run the boat for at least an hour,stopping and going constantly. You may be glad you did. Good luck.
John

John nailed it, as always. Good luck with your search.

Chuck:

Sea trial is set for Wednesday. I'll let you all know how that goes. As I mentioned before ... very much appreciate all that you guys provided in the area fo advice.

John

150.00 for a sea trial? you must be kidding. Do you pay for a test drive on a car?I think not. It costs the dealer nothing to take you out for a ride so he can sell you the engine for a profit. Im quite sure if you tell the dealer to stuff it on the 150.00 or no deal you will get your necessary test ride anyway.Good luck.bill

Your time is money as well. This is a USED boat and there are plenty to choose from. It's the seller's responsibility to demonstrate the boat & motor perform correctly with no problems. And that can only be accomplished effectively with a sea trial. I would never pay for a sea trial. Sales men will try anything to tack on a few extra bucks. He might even be trying to deter you from taking a sea trial by attempting such a ridiculous charge. For whatever reason, don't pay it. If he won't sea trial for free, Pass. And even if he does, look very very closely for issues.

Back