2002 Yamaha 115 4-Stroke Sputtering While Running

Gearyg

Participating Member
City
Huntington Beach
Hello, I was out today (nailed 2 huge Yellow's by the way, 30lbs+ each) and on the way back in, I was running at 4,000-4,400 RPM's and my engine started to sputter (as if it was going to cut out) after about 1 hour of running time. It did this off and on for about 2 min, then I stopped for about 10min. After I started it again, those symptoms never came back.

Has this ever happened to anyone else? Does anyone have any input on this, it was really wierd. I only have 310 hours on the engine....thanks.

Forgot to ad, my batteries are really weak and does not hold a charge well, would this have anyting to do with it?

Forgot to ad, my batteries are really weak and does not hold a charge well, would this have anyting to do with it?

That is very possible since these engines have ECU's (like your car) that need at least 10.5 volts to operate (think) correctly. This and or you could be trying to digest some fuel that was not up to snuff and might have had some water in it ;)

Just to let everyone know, I changed the batteries as suggested and it solved the problem. My engine even ran smoother with the new batteries, what a difference a good battery makes....

Good deal!
I think that battery and charging issues are missed many times when having running issues when they are so easy to check with a volt meter. God knows I don't run very well when I can't "think" either! Ha-Ha...

Back