Yamaha 60 4 stroke

CRIMAR30

Participating Member
City
Hamlet
I have had, in the past a Johnson 115 4 stroke engine, and on that one, the propeller turned freely, and slowly when running it on the muffs to flush it out. My Yamaha does not do this, it will not turn at all when flushing the engine, is this normal? There seems to be a bit of resistance even turning it by hand.

CRIMAR30,
I had a 60HP Yamaha on my 170CC. It did not spin when flushing. My 150HP Yamaha does not spin either. I do not think I would worry about it as long as it spins when you put it in gear. Have you changed the lower unit oil? If you have and did not see any water in it I'm sure everything is OK.
John D.

My Honda does not spin in neutral either unless I brush it with my foot which I do to spin it around to get all the salt out of the hub while flushing.

Be that as it may it should turn without much resistance. What I would do just to make sure, is take he prop off and make sure you do not have something wrapped around the prop shaft that may be the cause ;) Better safe than sorry for it is something that can cut into the prop shaft seal, it can cause some damage to a very expensive lower unit.

You could also the next time you drive past a Yamaha dealer, stop in check another one and see if they feel like they have the same amount of drag :)

Spinners

Hi Crimar,

My prop spins slowly when flushing my 70hp 2 stroke Yamaha. I've noticed that when the water and exhaust gases flow out of the center of the prop, the mixture hits the prop and spins it, like a pinwheel.

I have a Yamaha F60 on my 170. I flush using the hose attachment on the right side of the engine and run the engine for a few minutes... prop does not turn unless I put it in gear. I think this is normal and not a reason for any concern.

Flushing the engine

Hey Lucky, I believe that it is not recommended to run the engine if using the hose attachment on the side of the engine because the water pump impellor is not getting water while it runs. Water only reaches the output of the pump from the hose. Running is for when using the muffs which puts water through the pump. At least that is my understanding for my 75hp Yamaha 4stroke.

Hey Lucky, I believe that it is not recommended to run the engine if using the hose attachment on the side of the engine because the water pump impellor is not getting water while it runs. Water only reaches the output of the pump from the hose. Running is for when using the muffs which puts water through the pump. At least that is my understanding for my 75hp Yamaha 4stroke.

WPSCHAEF you are correct. I talked to yamaha some time back and they told me that if I am flushing my motor with the motor running than I must use Muffs and not the hose hookup.

I did wonder about that... The previous owner showed me this as his flushing method. I guess I should download the owner's manual (since I didn't get one with the boat).

While I can understand that running the motor isn't recommended when using the hose attachment, I do believe plenty of water makes it down to the impeller to keep it cool/lubed as long as you don't rev the engine much beyond idle. Having said that, I'll use muffs from now on if I need to run the engine.

Thanks for the warning!

Prop

I have had, in the past a Johnson 115 4 stroke engine, and on that one, the propeller turned freely, and slowly when running it on the muffs to flush it out. My Yamaha does not do this, it will not turn at all when flushing the engine, is this normal? There seems to be a bit of resistance even turning it by hand.

Crimar30, I checked my prop on my F75 Yami and it turns freely. I have it winterized so could not check it while flushing it. As fridaysoff said, you may need to check the lower unit oil. I hope this helps.

Back