Winterization 2-stroke Yamaha

G

gnm2140

Greetings,

Here in the Berkhires we've got a taste of snow already. Time to winterize. When fogging, do I need to run the engine (two-stroke 50 HP Yamaha) on antifreeze or can use water? Will it all drain? What is the best way to safely winterize the boat and the engine without extra expenses?

Thank you,
Greg

I just went to the Yamaha Marine web site and downloaded a free copy of your owners manual. The steps needed are in Chapter 4 page 4 with no mention of using such... I would suspect that all the water is going to drain out as long as you keep the engine in it's normal running postion long enough for it to do such.

If you run in any any salt water though (or dirty lake water for that matter) I would flush it with Salt Away before a long storage period to make sure the cooling jackets and passages get covered with the Salt Away soap / fluid. What you don't use on the Outboard, you can use on your truck after those famoes Salt Storms you all have up there to help keep it from getting all rusted also :D

http://www.saltawayproducts.com/ApplicationsPage.htm

Dave

Thank you, Dave. Hopefully, we'll have enough above freezing temp days for the water to drain.

Greg

Your very welcome Greg...

I notice as I raise and lower my engine after flushing, water will pour out as the engine goes though the various pitch changes. So I would do the same (rasie and lower it several times) after your done and you should be able to get it all out long before it freezes ;)

Hi all,

Another question: keep the engine vertical or lift it up all the way to better distribute the load on the transom?

Thanks,
Greg

My manual

for my 4 stroke said to store the motor in the vertical position.

Back