Winterizing motors

Davey

Participating Member
City
Venice
I need some advice on winterizing motors with 10% ethanol fuel. Currently I have four stroke Suzuki engines on two separate boats a 9.9Hp on my small boat and a 115 HP on the large boat both have fuel/water separator filter in there fuel lines. Normally with non-ethanol fuel I would add stabilizer in the tank (I run it all season as a rule) and fog the engine and cylinders.
Now that my area is only Ethanol fuel, I was thinking in addition to fuel additive in fuel tank maybe I should remove fuel/water separator filter and run each engine out of fuel then fog cylinders.
This ethanol fuel is driving me crazy with all the bad stuff I hear about it .

Winterizing

Davey,

The recommendation for long-term storage of tanks with ethanol blended fuels is to leave the tank empty. E-10 will seperate after 3 months, it doesn't matter what additives you put in the tank the fuel mixture will not stay in suspension. Sans additive, this time is reduced to approximately 2-3 weeks. Star-Tron with another traditional stabilizer (such as Sta-Bil) are needed for maximum storage life. As for as the engine, I would not run the engine out of fuel, as this would also cause most of the fogging oil to be consumed, thius reducing its effectiveness. Winterize your outboards using traditional methods and the Suzuki maintenance guidelines, and drain the tank (use the fuel in you car or lawn equipment). Hope this helps.

K100 fuel treatment

Is anyone familiar with this product (K100 fuel treatment):
--------------
Store with Full or Empty Tank
--------------
I went to try and purchase Johnson/Evinrude 2+4 for my Evinrude E tec outboard today because I am about to winterize it. I bought this product from an Evinrude dealer because they said that they no longer carry the 2+4 product, and they recommend using this K100 product. I am curious if anyone knows anything about it or has any thoughts regarding this product. Thanks. - Andrew

I would put stable in the tank and run the boat for a while to get he stable into the motor from the tank. I would not run the motor dry because you will never really run it dry you will just leave a small amount of fuel in the lines and A little fuel turns bad much faster than a lot of fuel. Here in Illinois we have had 10 ethenol in the fuel for 10+ years. My old boat sat for over a year unused with the ethenol fuel in it and with out stable and ran fine with no problem's.

If the fuel does start to gel the my fuel/water seprerator should pick it up befor it gets to the motor.

This is just my opinion as I am far from a expert. But I hope this helps.
HTR

Back