Engine Flush

Gator

Registered Member
City
Mooresville
After using, I flush the top of the motor through the hose like fitting on the Yamaha 150; and then I flush the foot w/ some ears & hose; but when I used to do the foot of my old boat years ago, I remember water finally spitting out of the top; like it does when you are in the water running..........but, w/ so far, after trying this lower foot flush twice, I never get water to spit. Can someone enlighten me? This is my first saltwater boat/engine; perhaps I'm not doing something right; or perhaps it just doens't ever get there when flushing from the bottom. (it does spit when flushing the top head)..........anyway, I let it run for a few minutes; I use my hands to be sure the ears are getting as much water into the intake as possible, etc. Thanks for any advice. Gator

I've had the same problems with my yamaha 150. I tried 3 different sets of ears with the same results.

I finally called yamaha. They sent me a service tech bulletin on the topic. They say using the top hose connection is is suficient for flushing the entire engine ? The only other way is to submerge the lower end in a container of water . Hope this helps

Gator. Flushing through the "hose like fitting" flushes everything that needs to be flushed. Just make sure that you get water flow out of the water flow indicator (pee pee nozzel) It will take a few seconds before you get flow out of it after turning the water on. You are getting water flow through the top if you have water flow coming out of the nozzel. If you flush the engine in a short amount of time after running it the water coming out of the nozzel will be warm. It will only take about a min before the water turns cold coming out of the nozzel. Using flush muffs will not flush the top end unless you start the engine. Hope this helps to clear things up. Bob

Thanks guys. I do flush through the hose fitting and get the pee pee to spit....and do that for several minutes........yet the Yahama dealer I have service my engine recommended I also flush the foot to get the grit/sand out of it; quoting that the top flush doesn't do as good a job for the lower foot.??? I'll probably just keep flushing the top and hope that's sufficient.
:confused:

Use the flush kit attachment on the lower unit and run the engine when water is being supplied. As I understand it the hose attachment on the upper part of the engine is for flushing the engine without running the engine.

Its better to overkill the flush and do both than to just do the top and worry yourself about the foot. It wont hurt and if it gives you peace of mind then thats even better.

Thanks for the link to the salt water flush stuff. So you can use that in the engine flush as well as spraydown the outside to neutrilize salt deposits?

• I use it on the outside of the engine.
  • Rinse off the boat.
  • In my pressure washer soap tank to hose off the trailer after a run
  • And even keep some in a weed killer can in the back of the truck so I can spray off the trailer axle, wheels, lights, etc, after pulling it up out of the saltwater after launching the boat each time ;)
Good Stuff :)

Wow, thats a great idea about the pump sprayer. Thanks.

OK...here's something interesting I heard from a certified Honda shop last weekend: "If flushing your motor makes you feel better then keep doing it. Flushing does not prevent corrosion (except maybe in cases where you are running in water with lots of grit.)" His feeling was that if the motor is designed to run in saltwater, corrosion would not be caused by saltwater but by some internal damage, and that flushing after running in salt water would not prevent further damage. He suggested that closely monitoring fuel efficiency was a better indicator of wear in your motor.

I specifically asked him about the muffs vs. the internal hose attachment and that's the response I got.

Personally, I will continue flushing my motor and washing down the boat and trailer thoroughly with fresh water because it does make me feel better!

Just thought you all would find this response from the shop interesting.

That's very interesting. My Suzuki manual says to flush it everytime you are in salt water. I just use the hoose fitting since I keep the boat in a slip and it's a pain in the *** to put the ear muffs on. I'd hate to think I'm wasting my time...

A car is meant to be outside in the rain but if you dont clean it you will get damage to the finish. I feel the same with a marine engine, salt is corrosive to most everything so wash it out. $12,000.00 is a lot to play around with when a few Cents of water might save thousands in damage.

Back