Free Spinning Prop

CRIMAR30

Participating Member
City
Hamlet
I have noticed, that on the 115 Johnson I used to have, when flushing out the engine,the propeller used to spin freely. On the Yamaha I now own, the prop doesn't spin at all, when doing the same thing, is this a problem?

Could be normal, but hard to tell since I cannot stand there and spin the prop by hand to feel how much drag it has. But if you turn it by hand, and feel or hear a clacking noise, then I will venture to say that the engine is "trying" to go into gear even when in neutral.

If so, I would have the dealership inspect the shifter cable adjustment since I know all too well now, how much a shift replacement "could" cost when it finally decides to go south like it did on my Honda....

My yammi f 115 four stroke does not spin either. I think this part of the design. The prop does spin if you use your hand but it does not spin freely in the wind. When i spin by hand it seems to catch every 10 degrees. If you feel it is overly stiff I would pull the prop and check for tape, rope, or fishing line wrapped around the shaft.

Back