Ice Out on Lake Michigan

HighTechRedneck

Contributing Member
City
Montgomery
So we had strong winds come accross Lake Michigan this past week and it blew the ice out far enough into the lake for me to fish. I hit south side of the lake on the IL/IN border the water temperature was 32.5 degrees. Fishing was very good and it was so nice to get back on the water again and get my lines wet. We went 4 for 9 mostly brown trout. one was around 10 pounds. below are some pics

HTR

Attachments

• SNC00058.jpg
    SNC00058.jpg
    37 KB · Views: 32
  • SNC00063.jpg
    SNC00063.jpg
    48.8 KB · Views: 34
Nice work! ;)

Well done! We got out this weekend on the Albemarle Sound. It reached 74 degrees on land that day, but the water was a surprising 41 degrees, so the wind out there was chillier than our guests expected. Probably still warmer than your day.

My fish finder/transducer only worked near shore where the water was 42 degrees. Then when I got out into the 41 degree water, it would stop updating and just flash. We'll see if it ever gives me trouble above 41. If not, I'll just leave it be. It isn't often the sound is that cold.

Oh - Good catches, by the way!

Just keep an eye on the wind when there is ice out there. One spring many years ago I went out of a local river onto Lake Erie and then into a nearby warm water discharge of a power plant to fish. I couldn't see the lake from where I was fishing and in the space of about an hour and a half the wind switched, blew the ice back in, and was blocking the mouth of the river. I had to motor the bow up onto the ice and then jump up and down in the front of the boat to get the foot plus thick ice to push out to the sides for about 40 yards before I could get back into the river.
What we wouldn't do just to fish.
Roger

Good eaten fish there,...congrats

Back