Kingfish on Homemade Outriggers

Fishin' DC's

Participating Member
City
Gainesville
State
FL
I've been wanting to add some width to my trolling pattern to my 2004 Triumph 210, so:
... I went to Lowe's and picked up two pole extensions (Wooster SherLock brand) that ran around $30 each. They're fiberglass with an aluminum extension that goes out to 12ft.
... I got them home and drilled a small hole at the end of the alum. extension piece.
... I added a small stainless eye bolt that I secured with a washer and nut.
... At my local tackle shop, I picked up a $3 release clip that attaches to the eye bolt with a large swivel.
... I let my line out to the distance desired, then clip the line into the release clip on the pole, feed out the extension, and then insert the butt end of the pole extension into an overhead rod holder on my T-Top.

The past two weekends we've boated three king macks (7-10 lbs) and lost two much larger fish at the boat due to them throwing the hook on the trolling plug (they love Yozuri crystal minnows in the white belly, chrome side, blue back with black stripes).
I can now troll with a 5 rod spread (2 on the extension poles in the T-Top rod holders, 2 in the rear gunnel rod holders, 1 on the shotgun rod holder on a short line on a rod holder attached to the small rail at the engine. I've got the Yozuri's on the outriggers, a big lip Bomber running 40ft deep on one gunnel rod, a Stretch-25 on the other gunnel rod, and a drone spoon on the shotgun center rod. I make W-I-D-E tuns with this spread, otherwise you'll be spending a lot of time untwisting line wraps.

Man, when that plug gets hit and the release clip pops off, and the clicker starts screaming, there is no excitement like it. If you're looking for a less expensive alternative to "real" outriggers, maybe this will give you what you're looking for. Good luck and catch 'em up.

Attachments

• Captured 2008-12-14 00000.JPG
    Captured 2008-12-14 00000.JPG
    71.8 KB · Views: 31
  • Captured 2008-12-14 00001.JPG
    Captured 2008-12-14 00001.JPG
    56.3 KB · Views: 33
  • Captured 2008-12-14 00002.JPG
    Captured 2008-12-14 00002.JPG
    59.5 KB · Views: 34
  • Captured 2008-12-14 00003.JPG
    Captured 2008-12-14 00003.JPG
    60.8 KB · Views: 31
Last edited:
Thanks for sharing this. Great ingenuity! Maybe you can add some pictures of your setup sometime. I agree with you on the reel screaming excitement. Nothing like it. :)

That is a great idea :).... I will have to make me some of those for next Striper Season at the Bay/Ocean........ More baits in the water the better..... THANKS..

Great idea! Way to think outside the box! Now you need to add some pulleys on the end and at the base, run a line through them and put your release on the line. That way you don't have to remove the "outrigger" to reset...just clip it in and pull the line to make it go out. Great Job!

Pulleys would be a good addition. It will get old pulling the rods down every time we re-deploy the lines.

Back