So, My Son and I trolled for Dolphin and...

Looking out on the Atlantic, today's conditions don't look as bad as predicted, but it's early and conditions may change.. The bay side will probably be our destination. Fish the ocean? fish the bay? stay and drink cold beverages? Man, these decisions are tough :)

Good Morning DC

DC,

Check out the marine forecast for this weekend. It's looking great for Ft. Lauderdale. I'm thinking of going out on Saturday.

COASTAL WATERS FORECAST FOR SOUTH FLORIDA
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE MIAMI FL
414 AM EDT THU JUN 26 2008
ATLANTIC COASTAL WATERS FROM JUPITER INLET TO OCEAN REEF OUT TO 60
NM AND GULF COASTAL WATERS FROM EAST CAPE SABLE TO CHOKOLOSKEE OUT
20 NM AND CHOKOLOSKEE TO BONITA BEACH OUT 60 NM...INCLUDING THE
WATERS OF BISCAYNE BAY AND LAKE OKEECHOBEE.
AMZ651-671-261430-
/O.ROU.KMFL.MA.F.0000.000000T0000Z-000000T0000Z/
COASTAL WATERS FROM DEERFIELD BEACH TO OCEAN REEF, FL OUT 20 NM-
WATERS FROM DEERFIELD BEACH TO OCEAN REEF, FL EXTENDING FROM 20 NM
TO THE TERRITORIAL WATERS OF THE BAHAMAS-
414 AM EDT THU JUN 26 2008

[SIZE=+1]TODAY[/SIZE]
EAST WINDS 10 TO 15 KNOTS. SEAS 2 FEET OR LESS NEAR SHORE
AND UP TO 2 TO 4 FEET IN THE GULF STREAM. INTRACOASTAL WATERS A
MODERATE CHOP. SLIGHT CHANCE OF SHOWERS AND THUNDERSTORMS.

[SIZE=+1]TONIGHT[/SIZE]
SOUTHEAST WINDS 10 TO 15 KNOTS. NEAR SHORE...SEAS 2 TO
4 FEET SUBSIDING TO 2 FEET OR LESS AFTER MIDNIGHT. WELL OFFSHORE...
SEAS 2 TO 4 FEET. INTRACOASTAL WATERS A MODERATE CHOP. SLIGHT CHANCE
OF SHOWERS AND THUNDERSTORMS.

[SIZE=+1]FRIDAY[/SIZE]
EAST WINDS 5 TO 10 KNOTS BECOMING 10 TO 15 KNOTS IN THE
AFTERNOON. NEAR SHORE...SEAS 2 FEET OR LESS. IN THE GULF STREAM...
SEAS NEAR 2 FEET BUILDING TO 2 TO 4 FEET IN THE AFTERNOON. INTRACOASTAL
WATERS A MODERATE CHOP. SLIGHT CHANCE OF THUNDERSTORMS IN THE
AFTERNOON.

[SIZE=+1]FRIDAY NIGHT[/SIZE]
EAST WINDS 10 TO 15 KNOTS. SEAS 2 FEET OR LESS NEAR
SHORE AND UP TO 2 TO 4 FEET IN THE GULF STREAM. INTRACOASTAL WATERS
A MODERATE CHOP. SLIGHT CHANCE OF SHOWERS AND THUNDERSTORMS.

[SIZE=+1]SATURDAY[/SIZE]
EAST WINDS 5 TO 10 KNOTS. SEAS 2 FEET OR LESS.
INTRACOASTAL WATERS A LIGHT CHOP. SLIGHT CHANCE OF SHOWERS AND
THUNDERSTORMS.

[SIZE=+1]SATURDAY NIGHT[/SIZE]
EAST WINDS 10 TO 15 KNOTS BECOMING 5 TO 10 KNOTS
AFTER MIDNIGHT. SEAS 2 FEET OR LESS. INTRACOASTAL WATERS A MODERATE
CHOP. SLIGHT CHANCE OF SHOWERS AND THUNDERSTORMS.

[SIZE=+1]SUNDAY THROUGH MONDAY[/SIZE]
SOUTHEAST WINDS 5 TO 10 KNOTS. SEAS 2 FEET
OR LESS. INTRACOASTAL WATERS A LIGHT CHOP. CHANCE OF SHOWERS AND
THUNDERSTORMS.

BarryB,
Thanks for the wx info. The sea conditions are to subside slightly this afternoon and Saturday. Today their still 15-20 knots, then decreasing to around 15 through Saturday. We will probably stay on the reef, or just off the drop in around 100' and troll or bottom fish. We rode around a little bit Wednesday afternoon and saw one sailfish jump in around 35'. We stayed on the gulf side Thursday and it was a lot calmer water. On our way under the #2 bridge we saw a guy hooked up on, what we imagine, was a good tarpon. The ocean side seem to be choppier in the am then ease off in the afternoon.

Try, Try, Try again!

I'll try for dolphin again tomorrow (Saturday). The Ft. Lauderdale marine forecast states:
SATURDAY
SOUTHEAST WINDS 5 TO 10 KNOTS BECOMING EAST 10 TO
15 KNOTS IN THE AFTERNOON. SEAS 2 FEET OR LESS BUILDING TO 2 TO
4 FEET IN THE AFTERNOON. INTRACOASTAL WATERS A MODERATE CHOP.

Since my son bugged out, I'm on my own. Hope I bring back lots of fish, that will show him. :mad:

I'll bring a camera in case I spot any more submarines. :p

Okay DC, the torney is on!!!

Always a brides maid, never a bride...

Well, I tried again to hunt the elusive Dolphin fish. But, due to 4 foot rollers, I went back in and fished Biscayne bay. Caught a few Mutton Snapper, but, they were too small to be legal. Eventually, the seas calmed down too three foot rollers and I went back out to Barracuda reef. Moored to a reef bouy. Caught many Yellowtail Snapper. Again, too small to be legal (only off by an inch. Damm).

Had a good day though. Ballyhoo back in the freezer until the next round.

DC, how did you do?

We're back in Gainesville and went -0- for two fishing trips in Islamorado. Two things primarily worked against us, (1) weather conditions were not ideal with 3'-4' choppy conditions both days, and (2) lack of local knowledge. Friday we trolled the reef out to 100' from Calusa Cove to Alligator Reef light with only a 6" yellowtail snapper to show for it. We bottom fished at the AR light and my son got rocked up by a grouper but we couldn't raise him and the line broke. Saturday we swallowed our pride, admitted our defeat, and took the wives on a party boat that took us out to the AR light, where the boat caught its limit of 400 yellowtail snapper in 2 1/2 hours. We brought home 31 yellowtails and left others for the crew's use. We're thinking of going again next year, but I'll probably not tow the boat and opt for a charter. The 210 handled great and no troubles were encountered trailering down and back. Good luck to any other forum fishers that go down to try their luck at the elusive dolphin. Maybe next year...

barry it might be time to get you a new ballyhoo .....this is a trick that i have used to get groupers out of rocks before it does not work all the time....but is worth the try when nothing eles will work.. reel the line up pretty tight than while holding it tight strum the line with your fingers like a banjo... the vibrations on the groupers mouth will drive him crazy and he will come out of the hole he is in .......sometime it works sometime the grouper wins............

Always a Gray Trigger

Well, my sister and brother in law visited for the fourth. I took them out fishing on Saturday. I figured, he was a big time fisherman and would help me out. Well, they are from Naples and are used to fishing on the Gulf or fresh water, so, that had a good day of feeding the fish.I caught the Gray Triggerfish. I always seem to catch these. I've read that their good eating, but, I'm just not sure.Anyone ever caught and cooked Gray Triggerfish? If so, send a recipe.

Attachments

• Gray Trigger.jpg
    Gray Trigger.jpg
    49.6 KB · Views: 14
Back