Kudos to EZ Loader and a question

jtaylor1

Registered Member
City
Bertram
Been having some trouble getting the boat lined up on the trailer straight when the wind is blowing, I have an EZ Loader trailer, so I thought I'd just order me some side roller guides from EZ loader online - went thru the whole process, picked the ones I thought were right, put in my credit card #, trailer VIN# and submitted the order online - next day someone from EZ Loader called me and said we can't sell those to you with the rig you have and you should really call Triumph before you proceed with this and gave me their phone number. Triumph answered the phone almost immediately when I called and informed me: side roller guides should not be used with a Triumph because they will tear up the boat. OK hadn't thought of that.
Hey.... EZ Loader could have just shipped 'em to me got my $150+- and been done, but they actually called me and kept me from making a big miistake that might have messed up my boat. I really appreciate that kind of service. Kudos to Triumph as well, cuz I've called them 3 or 4 times since I got my boat in June and they have either answered the phone when I called or called me back within a few hours if I had to leave a message. I LIKE THIS KIND OF SERVICE!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Now the question: Have any of you installed side bunks to keep your boat from getting on top of the trailer fenders when it's wild and wooly at the ramp?

I haven't had a problem getting my 215 on the trailer. I make sure that I don't have the trailer too far in the water so the bunk guides can do their job. I'd rather punch it a little to move up on the trailer and know it is lined up everytime.

Same here with my 170CC. Back down to wet the entire bunk and then pull out enough to submerge about half to 2/3 of the bunks, nose the boat in and hit the throttle to "get 'er done". Wind, tides, etc....doesn't matter...it works.

I have installed the post type guide ons and found that they help a lot with wind and tide getting lined up straight.We also back the trailer to get bunks wet then pull out until the top of front fender is just out of water we have had people at the ramp comment on how simple launch and recovery is with my 210. Just this weekend I launched the boat parked the truck and was back to the boat before a similar size rig with rollers was still loading!!Gotta love our boats!!!

YUP same here, never completely submerge your bunks, they will align you up if you are off a bit. If ALOT then yes you will have to back off and try again.

Here is something to think about, when the wind is a blowin, aim for the side of the trailer that the wind is coming from, and drift into place.
Like peterturf1 said, I get more comments on how I launch and recover my boat all by myself, in less time than most people do with a helper.

Jtaylor1, all those that posted before me had some real worthwhile ideas and suggestions. My suggestion would be to try those first, especially getting the bunks wet and pulling the trailer out of the water a little.

We have a Rolls Axle trailer that sits lower, so we do have the side bunks you mentioned.

Attachments

• Trailer rear view 1.jpg
    Trailer rear view 1.jpg
    94.3 KB · Views: 43
Good info, my 17cc is easy for 1 person to do, but I question from the first post...How can side roller guides tear up a Triumph when the Bubba test won't, dropping from a helicopter won't,slamming with a sledgehammer won't,etc? I thought my boat was pretty indestructable! Anybody else know of any other surprises which may damage the boats?

Rollers won't "tear it up" but they do not support the hull correctly. The Roplene hull has to be supported on bunks when out of the water. If not supported correctly the hull shape can change. Osprey Vic added side bunk support which is fine but rollers don't work with these hulls.

Thanks guys - I haven't tried getting the bunks wet all the way up, but I'll do that next time I load.

Ez Loader also has made good on the Rear LED light assemblys that last less than a 1/2 a season. I have had 2 sets of lights on my 2006 trailer since purchase. Called Ez Loader and they just sent out the new designed light packs. The new design doesn't have thru bolts in the plastic light case helping to cause water intrusion. I was never charged for any replacment parts due to the design / manufacturing flaw of the light units.
Delt directly with ez loader and not my local Triumph guy.
They are very customer focused!

I've don't like backing my trailer far enough down the ramp to get the bunks wet because I don't want to dunk my truck's rear wheels/brakes/exhaust into the salt water. I guess this wouldn't happen if the ramp is really steep, but the one I use is not. Instead, every so often, I take a can of CRC silicone spray from wally world and I spray the bunks down after a day of fishing before I load the boat back on. With the trailer down in the water as far as I can go without getting my truck wet, and the trailer fenders still above the water level, I can crank my 190 Bay up onto the trailer centered perfectly on the bunks slick as can be. It also helps when I launch. I disconnect the safety chain and winch strap once the trailer wheels enter the water and as I back down my boat starts to slide off the trailer as soon as it hits the water. Before I started using silicone spray I used to have to almost sink the entire trailer in order to float the boat off.

I kind of like that silicone idea. I don't suppose the propellant or some ingredient in the silicone will eventually eat up the carpet though, will it?
How long have you been doing it?

Back