Long trip towing boat, what to do?

Paul C

Registered Member
City
Norfolk
I am planning on driving from Norfolk to Charleston SC and might be towing my 190 Bay. My truck is perfect for the trip, is there anything special I need to do as far as preparing my trailer for such a journey? Tires are new and boat/trailer have less than 200 miles on them so far.

Thanks,
Paul :confused:

Things I would consider:

Do you have extra grease and a grease gun?

Will your truck jack work on the trailer? If not, need a jack that will work.

Do you have the tools to remove a trailer tire? What works for the truck might not work for the trailer (my lug nuts were different sizes).

Do you have a spare trailer tire? New does not mean it will not go flat. Is your spare tire securely locked to the trailer?

Is your boat securely tied down to the trailer?

I am sure there are more, so will continue to read what others say.
Vic in Osprey FL

Interesting question as I'm doing the same thing on June 3 with my 190.

- I purchased a spare hub from EZ Loader (maker of my trailer). Go to EZloader.com if this is your trailer. If you should have baring failure, you'll need a rubber mallet, crescent wrench and pliers in addition to what Vic mentioned. The mallet is used to remove and put back on the bearing buddy. I also carry a roll of shop towels - used for everything.

- Vic mentioned securing the boat to the trailer. You'll see two eye hooks on either side of the stern and similar hooks forward the tail lights on the trailer. These are used with 'tie downs' (can't remember what they are called) to secure for towing.

- Pack extra bulbs for your tails. They tend to fail if the housings are not water tight or hold water. I've replaced my passenger side housing once as it leaked and the bulb broke.

- Transom saver. I use this one...
http://www.m-ywedge.com/instructions.htm
Helps relieve stress from the tilt tubes. Doesn't do anything for the transom.

Best of luck. I'm sure others will weigh-in as well.

One extra thing to save on both Tire and Bearing wear is to go have all 3 tires (spare included) balanced. Why? Cause (as I told the dude at the tire store in my best Ron White voice when I took mine in :) ) "Because the same Laws of Physics apply...." This after he told me "That he ain't never had anybody balance their boat trailer tires before :(" I then told him "Well buddy, you won't see mine on the side of the road from early bearing failure and if it does, I have a spare mounted locked on a false axle with a complete hub and bearing set on my trailer just in case just like Cincinnati does :D

Personally (looking back), I don't think the dude behind the counter knew much about "The Laws of Physics :eek: " But that is a different story altogether... Your tow though will be a lot smoother and you will have a lot less tire hop thus saving on wear both for the tire and less pull on the bearings in the process.

Enjoy!

Yes it is always good to be prepared...I go one step further...AAA, and if there is a problem...they can do the work for me.

Different tires on a brand new trailer

Hi guys,

I just noticed that my new trailer has different two set of tires :confused:
Good Year on one side and whatever is the brand on the other side :confused: I asked the dealer why. No clue. My guess is that because it was a leftover they may have taken parts when in needs and replaced them later. While the tires are the same size they have different threads. What would you do? Complain and ask the dealer to put four tires of the same brand? or just keep it this way?

Thanks,

PAX said:
Hi guys,

I just noticed that my new trailer has different two set of tires :confused:
Good Year on one side and whatever is the brand on the other side :confused: I asked the dealer why. No clue. My guess is that because it was a leftover they may have taken parts when in needs and replaced them later. While the tires are the same size they have different threads. What would you do? Complain and ask the dealer to put four tires of the same brand? or just keep it this way?

Thanks,

I would check to see if they are all radials or mix with non-radials. The Goodyear (Marathons?) are likely radials. The other brand may not be. Another option would be to buy two new to replace the unknown brand with Goodyear Marathons and use the ones on there now as spares. Could be spendy though. If they are all the same type of tire, then I don't see any harm in leaving it as is.

wow, if were me.........I would force the dealer to have all the same tires....but that is just me I am perfectionist.

Cincinnati said:
I would check to see if they are all radials or mix with non-radials.

I did check the brands and models. On one side I have the Goodyear Marathon RADIAL and on the other side I have Load Star K550. I can't tell from the tire if they are radial or not. Anybody knows? Is it a big no-no to have radial on one side and non-radial on the other side?

Thanks,

Sorry for providing you guys with piece meal information but now I believe have everything.
The Goodyear are Radial construction and are both on the starboard side of the trailer and the Load Star are Diagonal construction and are both on the port side. Do you think I have an issue? I am calling EZLoader right now.

Back