My Half

My Half

Registered Member
City
Waretown
Been looking at this site for 6 months now, great bunch of guys & info. I have a 17 CC with a 75 Yamaha, been having some problems with the new New Jersey Gas.
Most fishing South Jersey, lucky to have my own home on a lagoon opening up to the Bay (Oyster Creek) if anyone knows the place.

Regards

Skip

Welcome the site Skip and thanks for saying hello. Sounds like you've got a great spot up there! :)

Hey Skip,
Welcome to the site. I also live in S. Jersey and fish the Atlantic City area. My boat is the twin to yours and I love it. I do alot of fishing by myself so I have plenty of room on it. When the weather is nice, I take it right out into the ocean and look for the big fish out there. If in the area give a shout for "Greenapple" on the radio.

Hey Skip,

What kind of problems are you having with the gas??

Greenapple

I picked up a 14 gallon gas caddy that I fill in a non-ethanol county where I work here in PA and then transfer it into my boat. Southeast PA also has ethanol but not the outer counties.

Hey Green apple and My Half - I would be VERY interested in learing from you both where to fish in the back bays of southern Jersey. Feel free to leave me a PM. I actually was thinking about going out this Thursday. I currently keep my 190 Bay in the tidal Delaware River Basin - north of the Delaware Bay. Just moved here from CT where I slayed big stirpers but have yet to try my luck on the NJ shore.

Hey Skip,
Welcome to the site. I also live in S. Jersey and fish the Atlantic City area. My boat is the twin to yours and I love it. I do alot of fishing by myself so I have plenty of room on it. When the weather is nice, I take it right out into the ocean and look for the big fish out there. If in the area give a shout for "Greenapple" on the radio.

Thanks Greenapple I will be sure to give you a shout on the radio. I have taken your twin out to the ocean twice now and no problems

Skip

I picked up a 14 gallon gas caddy that I fill in a non-ethanol county where I work here in PA and then transfer it into my boat. Southeast PA also has ethanol but not the outer counties.

Hey Green apple and My Half - I would be VERY interested in learing from you both where to fish in the back bays of southern Jersey. Feel free to leave me a PM. I actually was thinking about going out this Thursday. I currently keep my 190 Bay in the tidal Delaware River Basin - north of the Delaware Bay. Just moved here from CT where I slayed big stirpers but have yet to try my luck on the NJ shore.

Good idea about the gas, I also have a 25 gallon gas caddy. Will start to look for a station without ethanol. I will send you some GPS sites for some good fishing

regards

Skip

Hey Skip,

What kind of problems are you having with the gas??

Greenapple

The marina has had the boat 3 times, they say its computer related. I say its the gas, I will give them one more chance and than its Yahama on the phone. Getting tired of pulling it out and in !

Skip

E10 Gas Problem

Hello Guys,

Hope to have my 210 CC on the water for the first time this weekend. I have my concerns about the fuel also but was told with 4 strokes its not a problem. They are the same as a 4 cylinder car. Is this true? Cincinnati don't you have the same motor as me(Honda 130 4 Stroke). Are you having problems? I also heard that you should never mix the two fuels.

Thanks,

Jack:cool: :cool:

Hello Guys,

Hope to have my 210 CC on the water for the first time this weekend. I have my concerns about the fuel also but was told with 4 strokes its not a problem. They are the same as a 4 cylinder car. Is this true? Cincinnati don't you have the same motor as me(Honda 130 4 Stroke). Are you having problems? I also heard that you should never mix the two fuels.

Thanks,

Do not believe them about no problem with a 4 stroke. Ethanol mixture is gumming up the carbs and you have 4 carbs on your engine. Just make sure that your boat has a separate water seperator filter installed. If it does not your dealer should provide one at no cost to you.

Regards

Skip

Just make sure that your boat has a separate water seperator filter installed. If it does not your dealer should provide one at no cost to you.
I believe that a fuel/water separator is very important and I paid for one on my boat. But I'm not sure why you'd say that a dealer should provide it at no cost. It is a cost to them and an option on a boat purchase. Certainly a negotiable item and a dealer may elect to offer one, but an option none the less.

Mr. My Half,

On my 75hp 4 stroke, it is fuel injected and I don't have any problems with the gas in NJ. What you are saying is yours have carbs and they are gumming up? I am not a expert on this 10% ethanol they are adding to the gas, but what I understand is it is the same as the DRY GAS additive that people put in their cars for the winter.
By the way, do you have any problems with green heads where you live?

Greenapple

Hello Guys,

Thanks,

Jack - Yes, I run a 2002 Honda 130. The issue is not with the intake and valves, rather the marine parts that modified the Accord block, aftermarket parts along with storage issues. The problem I had was twofold.
1) The boat had run on straight gas for two seasons, then E10 in 2004. So I couldn't be sure if the switch to E10 was a problem at the gas station pump or in my tank - either way, I had a lot of water issues early in 2004 and a lot of black particles trapped in my fuel/water separator bowl. Then when my mechanic inspected my fuel system, he noted rust on my injectors and damage to the high-pressure fuel pump. Honda covered the repair.
2) After the above was resolved, I used an aftermarket fuel filter that was designed to be a direct replacement of my OEM filter. After a month of use, glue particles from the filter dissolved into the fuel, ran into my VST (vapor separator tank) and stuck the needle open flooding the VST. Then raw fuel was coming out of the vapor recapture hose, diluting my crankcase oil with fuel. My mechanic documented the problem, Honda did not cover this one - but after a few months of writing letters to the manufacturer of the filter, I was reimbursed the $400 repair bill to clean out all the glue.

So yes, the Hondas run fine on E10. But last year I stored the boat dry, put fresh gas in the tank, used OEM parts only and this spring and had zero problems for the first time in two years.

The fix for the E10 fuel is a Raycor ten micron water fuel filter, treat all fuel with an enzyme based fuel stabilizer, (Startron is the brand name and I use the stuff for the diesel fuel at the rate of 1 oz per 10 gallons) and also use Ring free at the rate of 1 per ten gallons.

I had to have my carbs rebuilt twice in a year due to this fuel, since I started doing the above I've had no problems.

This was the info I got directly from Yamaha outboards.

Back