Nauticus Smart Tabs-Automatic Trim Tabs

BSeid33859

Registered Member
City
Roanoke
I have a 40Hp Yamaha 4 stroke on my 2007 150CC. Since the boat seems to drag itself up on plan. I'm a hefty guy and with passenger, dogs and gear we are about 550Lbs. I can get up on plan after several seconds at full power and can stay on plan at a minimum of 4200 Rpm at about 22 MPH.
I am just wondering if anyone has tried the above trim tabs and if they worked as advertised like, cut bow raise by 50%,get faster smoother acceleration,tow anything with ease,and run at top speeds without porpoising? If so it sounds like they were made for the 150CC. You can see them at iboats.com $144.49 for my boat and they look like even a fool like me could instal them. Will the installation void the haul warranty?

We have used the Nauticus Smart Tabs on Triumph's from 12' to 19' with great results. The 80 to 100 lb pressure is the one to use on the 15/17' boats. I think the model# is ST980-40

Dick

I gotum installed em and they are great. They perform as advertised and I was told by a factory rep, when I called with a technical question, that their tabs will be standard equipment on the 2008 models. I would recommend that any one with a Triumph 150 instal these tabs, you wont be sorry. Its been the best $115.00 I've spent on the boat so far. The stainless steel tabs are about $145.00. I originally bought the stainless steel ones but returned them because I think the black plastic ones look better on my boat.

Hey BSeid33859 ,

I just purchased a set today. I am going to put them on this week. How easy was the installation? The instructions make it seem not too bad. Any tips?

-Stoney-

Hey BSeid33859 ,

I just purchased a set today. I am going to put them on this week. How easy was the installation? The instructions make it seem not too bad. Any tips?

-Stoney-

They are very simple to install. If you have a swim ladder the fit will be tight. The only tools you need to install them is a drill and a philps head screw driver and some Marine sealant and a ruler. I also bought the the levers to lock the tabs up for when I retrieve the boat and tow it on the trailer. Due to the tight fit the tab under the swim ladder will not retract all the way up but at least it is not hanging down. To retract properly I'd have to remove the swim ladder. I got the black ones, the SX model new ones. Installation takes less than 30 minutes. I'm sure you'll be glade you got them. I had a lot larger boat years ago with hydraulic trim tabs and they were a pain in the *** to adjust ever time the weight shifted on the boat. With the Nauticus tabs they adjust them selves and do a darn good job of it.

I trailer my 170cc. Should I get the levelers? If so where did you get them?

Thanks.

I trailer my 170cc. Should I get the levelers? If so where did you get them?

Thanks.

I purchased them from ebuyersworld.com Item number PR500 Plate Retractor Kit $29.99 I also got the trim tabs there part no SX9510-40 Smart Tabs SX Trim Tabs $119.99 for the set, no taxes or shipping charges. You may not need the retractor kit. The main reason I got them was for the extra clearance while backing my boat into my garage. My house and garage are up a steep grade. I believe fisherman find the ability to retract the tabs useful at times as I have read.

Does anyone else out there think the retractor kit is needed if I install them on my 170cc. My only concern is the boat ramps. Sometimes at low tide they are pretty steep. Has anyone had problems?

-Stoney-

Does anyone else out there think the retractor kit is needed if I install them on my 170cc. My only concern is the boat ramps. Sometimes at low tide they are pretty steep. Has anyone had problems?

-Stoney-

You can always buy the retractor kit later if you feel the need. The kit is only $29.99. If you like to beach your boat it would probably be a good idea to be able to retract them.

Installed my smart tabs today on my 170cc (I posted pics). Took it for a ride tonight and so far I am very please. Right away I could tell the boat was more stable at slower speeds and more importantly no more wondering. Planing sure was quicker even with a good amount of weight in the stern. The ride is going to take some getting used to. It is like having a different boat. The only negative thing I have to say is the installation was a pain. There is no way you can do this in 30 minutes. It took me almost 3 hours, but I did have to modify my bunks as well because they were in the way. My best advice is to try to have a buddy help you if you are installing these yourself.

-Stoney-

Installed my smart tabs today on my 170cc (I posted pics). Took it for a ride tonight and so far I am very please. Right away I could tell the boat was more stable at slower speeds and more importantly no more wondering. Planing sure was quicker even with a good amount of weight in the stern. The ride is going to take some getting used to. It is like having a different boat. The only negative thing I have to say is the installation was a pain. There is no way you can do this in 30 minutes. It took me almost 3 hours, but I did have to modify my bunks as well because they were in the way. My best advice is to try to have a buddy help you if you are installing these yourself.

-Stoney-

They must be more difficult to install on the 170. It was a breeze on my 150CC. And I did it by myself.

I just purchased a set of Smart Tabs for my 150CC. Any suggestions on installing them. Is the hardware that comes with the package acceptable for installation on the Rpolene material?

William S., Zeieing

I am going to install SX9510-40 Smart Tabs on my Triumph 150CC. I'm concerned about how well the screws will hold in the Roplene. Should I be concerned about this? Also, can someone e-mail me a picture of the 150CC stern with the Smart Tabs installed? Mail to wszeising@aol.com.

Thanks, Bill Zeising

The installation isn't too bad. The roplene is very tough and can handle the screws as long as you use Rule sealant. Another suggestion would be to have someone help you hold the tabs when you are setting up the angle and securing them. It is critical that the angle is correct for the installation. Oh yeah and as always measure twice drill once. Have fun they are worth the effort.

-Stoney-

Thanks Stoney. What is Rule Sealant? Doesn't any marine sealant work?

Bill Zeising

Bill,
The only sealant that works on Roplene is Rule (Sudbury) Elastomeric Sealant. Check with your local Triumph dealer for it or order it online.

Here's a link to where I buy mine...

C.G.Edwards, Sudbury Boatcare Products

Do not use any other sealant...especially below the water line as they will not adhere to the Roplene correctly and will eventually fail.

Good luck with your install.

Back