New Enforcement of NC Trailer Laws - Beware!

Swamp_Bear

Contributing Member
City
Wilson
There has been quite a bit of activity lately in North Carolina concerning trailer laws that many people never knew existed. Tickets are being issued, with $500 fines that are required to be paid immediately in some cases.

1. Any boat/trailer combination wider than 102 inches (including guide-ons) requires a special wide load permit, and cannot be towed on Sundays, at night, or on certain holidays.

2. Pickup trucks or cargo vans are considered property carying vehicles, and fall under special weight categories defined by the combined weight of truck, trailer, and boat: Privately owned pickup trucks may reach a combined weight of 9,000 lbs, above which a weighted license plate is required. SUV's are classified as passenger carying vehicles, and are excempt from this requirement.

So in the case of the triumph 210/215, whose on trailer weight can soar around 4500 lbs, if you're towing with a 1/2 ton pickup that weighs 5000 lbs, you're over the 9000 lb limit for a non-weighted plate.

Passing the 10,000 lbs combined weight is where it gets downright ugly, with mandatory stops required at all weigh stations. But again, if you're towing with an SUV, that doesn't apply and you're fine. :confused:

Since tow with a truck, with combined weight with a full load of fuel estimated around 95000 lbs, I'd be in violation since my truck registration is only for 5000 lbs. I called up the NC DOT today to find out how painful my life was going to get, and it was good news: For an extra $50 per year, I can register my truck for 10,000 lbs, and I'll be in compliance - and I don't have to stop at weigh stations.

Those of you using F350's and the like might be tipping the 10,000 mark, so beware: Highway Patrol are starting to cary portable scales they can place under each wheel to add up the total weight and verify registered weight. But they're really pushing the wide load law, and there are reports of checkpoints at some popular coastal areas.

There has been a move in legislation, but that's turned into a mud slinging campaign, and WRAL did some really bad coverage on the matter that made it worse because the new bill to give boaters releif from these old laws also had a provision to allow bigger commercial trucks on backroads.

Here's an article on the matter for reference:

North Carolina Sportsman - Highway Patrol Holds First-Ever Public Forum on Trailering Boats

Thank you for this information Swamp Bear. I was totally unaware of this. :)

wow they are really trying to stick it to nc boaters, just another way for the state to make money. are the laws the same for campers and rvs. remind me to never take my boat to nc with out a lawyer and a pocket full of money.the worst thing about it is you cant drive off untill you pay the fine ?... hay Mr. trooper will you take a visa... in bama you dont even have to have a tag for your boat trailer are any other type of trailer for that matter.. as long as you have a flash light tied to the back of it for lights your o.k. just kidding:). yes that is some good info

What about visitors to NC from other states, do they have to follow the same law? Sounds like they don't want tourists with boats. Some lawmakers really do not think very far ahead.

What about visitors to NC from other states, do they have to follow the same law? Sounds like they don't want tourists with boats. Some lawmakers really do not think very far ahead.

Well if the state is anything like california, they have a saying, ignorance of the law is no excuse.! As for the new laws, thank goodness we do not have them down here.

Get an SUV. Problem solved. :)

full

Last edited by a moderator:
So with my Toyota Tacoma at 4500lbs. Boat at 3,00lbs. I should be fine by not having to have a weighted Tag???????? I thought that all Trucks had to have a weighted tag to cover the truck and all passengers plus the weight of the trialer/load to be carried??????? Info Please! JB

OspreyVic, some folks are calling this the "Anti-Tourism Law" because of the ramifications - particularly in torunaments people need to get to and from towing wide load trailers.

Boostjunkie, you're fine; your combined weight of 7500 lbs is well below the 9000 lb allowance. I understand that passengers are not included, but equipment/load is.

not welcome in NC

I dont have to worry about the weight thing, because I sold my f350 dually to buy my boat but what a pain in the butt for my pick-up brethren.
The state of NC already hassles us to title and buy a license plate so we can pull our boats, now they are targeting us for widths and weight. It would be simple if I wasnt living in NC. It tells fishermen and boaters from other states that they are not welcome and not to come to NC.
Maybe our neighboring states will be glad to receive their sporting excursion dollars!
Lindsay
PS- I just emailed about 15 representatives on the transportation committee and in thehouse and senate to let them know how I felt on the issue and linked to the NC sportsman article! I also told them if changes were not made I would take every opportunity to fish in SC instead of NC.

Attachments

• norman 001.jpg
    norman 001.jpg
    100.8 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:
Out Of State Kingfish Competitors With The Big Boats Have Been Fined For Not Complying. And I Think It Is Any Truck Totaling Over 5000k Will Need To Have The Extra Weight Added To The Reg Fee And A "weighted" Tag Itself Once You Go Over 10k I Payed $110 For 10 K Plate To Haul My Boat With My E250 Van . Rv Trailers Are Exempt From This Rule

Boostjunkie,
Check your registration card.If it has 5000 lbs. on it you have to have a weighted tag to cover truck,passengers,gear,boat and trailer,etc. You are right .This will stay the same.If anything changes in the law it will be the width and times that you can pull an overwide trailer.I'm like Berto,I had to bump my tag on my truck up to cover anything I pull.I just incresed it to the maximum my truck can pull to be on the safe side.Its nothing new.They just starting enforcing the laws.Hopefully the laws will be changed so the wide boats can be towed at night and holidays.
John D.

It gets even worse, Bigbird; trailers carying weights of 4000 lbs or more also have to get annual safety inspections.

fridaysoff, I called the DOT and was told that my truck with 5000 lbs on the registration was good for up to 9000 lbs total with trailer as is. No weighted plates are necessary up to 9000 lbs.

The man championing the first bill to correct our crappy boat trailer laws got thrashed in some ugly in-fighting and on the news, including allogations of special interest because he owns a marina. So the bill being forwarded by another member is watered down and as fridaysoff says, only addresses the limitations on wide loads on nights, Sundays and holidays.

Back