Onboard Amp and battery...

R

rrweather

I have a 191 FS. I am in the process of installing a stereo in the boat. I am thinking about the possibilities of installing a small marine amp as well. Right now, my boat has the single battery. I have a yamaha 115 with the stock 25A alternator on it. My question is what would my best option be for powering my electronics (GPS, VHF, stereo, and possible amp). I don't know what the alternator can handle. I don't know if I would be better off buying a second battery and wiring the electronics seperately to it. I'm looking for some input. Thanks for the help.

Randy

I don't think the alternator is the issue as much as the fact that you do not have any kind of back up system should your main battery fail and now you can't get the engine restarted. Which seems to always happen at the worse times like when that storm is approaching :(

I would install a second battery and battery switch and each trip run on the other battery always leaving one in reserve in case one fails when you need it the most. Just remember, don't switch batteries from 1 to 2 while the engine is running. When your current battery fails do yourself a favor and install a high quality AGM unit / units and you will have a lot less worry and headache going forward :D

Thanks for the information. Would a second starting battery that is used every other outing be better than a deep cycle that is dedicated for electronics? I don't know how much my onboard gear would draw but I would think that one deep cycle would give me plenty of juice for the electronics. That would leave the starting battery for motor starting only. Thanks again for the help.

Randy

Back