pamlico sound

steelersfan

Registered Member
City
Mechanicsville
I am going to the Avon/Waves area the end of Aug. Can anyone give me any info on the sound? I would like to take the kids tubing and *hopefully* get a little fishing in. I've heard it's pretty shallow and can get rough when the wind blows . Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks

Your are right on with your early knowledge of the Pamlico. I have been in 5-6 ft. seas just a mile out in Pamlico from Hatteras Village. Get a good chart to study the access to deeper water for playing. I have typically "scouted" an area with my depth sounder to confirm how much water there really is to be running with water toys in tow. A tide chart would be useful to know how that + - 12-18" of water will impact your activities. No wake speed finding the shallow spots is better than hitting a bar when you are up on plane. Since 1988, I have touched a lot of bottom from Nags Head to Harker's Island. Two times over the years, high and dry!!

Some other source for the Avon area sound fishing would serve you better than I can. My fishing inshore and off shore has been around Roanoak Island, Hatteras area, Ocracoke and Harker's. Never inside at Avon.

Have a great time.

steelersfan...

You might want to pop over to Randy's other site and post there as well: http://www.ncangler.com
Tons of great information and lots of folks willing to help that know the area like their own backyard.

Last edited:
Back