Plastic Bunk Boards?

Jambryan57

Registered Member
City
Sulphur
Does anyone have any experience with the Plastic Bunk Boards, such as the ultimatebunkboards.com or from honeybadger marine? Or even just the plastic Sliders or modular systems over boards? I am redoing my trailer and considering no rot options, but don't want to install something that would damage my hull? Any info appreciated.

I did have plastic slides on a 12foot plastic boat & it was just too slippery. It would slide off the trailer when I didnt want it too & it also slipped up crashing a lot when driven on. I changed it to carpet & it then worked the way it was suppose to :)
So my suggestion is DONT do it

Cheers
Ozy Mark

I have the standard 4 bunk setup for a 17cc.

The previous owner installed two approximately three feet long pieces of starboard/plastic on the two inner bunks(where it forms a vee).

The pieces are probably 1/2 inch thick and are screwed in with counter-sunk flush stainless screws right on top of the bunk carpet and into the wooden bunks.

The boat comes off of the trailer much easier when launching, but not to the point where you have to worry about it sliding off when you don't want it to.

It is very helpful when launching solo on a flat ramp. I can just back in until the fenders are in the water and then get out and easily push the bow of the boat and it comes right off.

It doesn't make any noticeable difference when loading the boat on to the trailer.

So about 85% of the bunks are covered in carpet and just 15% have plastic/starboard.

I think fully synthetic plastic-like bunks would work, however I would worry that they could be a bit too "slick" on the plastic hull.

Edit:
Steep ramps and having to break suddenly while trailering makes me think it would not be a good idea to use all synthetic.

Last edited:
great idea, but we have heard several customers complain that the bunks are too slippery once they did it, i would stick with carpet if I could or at least wrapy the plastic bunks with carpet. Good luck buddy

I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss them just yet. I mean the whole idea of loading and unloading with a trailer at a ramp is to try to have it be as easy as possible? Right?!!

Look at it this way.......If you are going to replace your bunks anyway.......You could get the plastic ones and try them and then if you are not thrilled......you can always cover them with the carpet as Chad said above. They would still be beneficial as they would never warp or rot.

My concern would be if they are rigid enough to support the hull without having to add additional support brackets. Plastic usually doesn't have the rigidity or tensile strength of wood or metal. (good example....our hulls)
I would put a plastic beam side by side with wood one suspended on each end and see which one bows the most.

As far as being too slippery when on the trailer. The boat should be adequately tied down once loaded anyway - no matter what type bunks you use. Friction alone and just the winch strap is not enough to secure it for travel.

Last edited:
I finally got a chance to take a photo of my bunks with the added plastic to the two inner bunks.

It makes for really easy launching but there is still plenty of carpet so it is definitely not too slick.

attachment.php

Attachments

• trailer bunks for tro.jpg
    trailer bunks for tro.jpg
    80.2 KB · Views: 54
Back