Please please help: breakway cable issue

PAX

Participating Member
City
Bedford
Hi guys,

after a great day of fishing in Boston Harbor, we managed to snap the breakaway cable on the trailer. We parked the boat under heavy rain and in trying to go quick we forgot to but the blocks behind the wheels. As we cranked the tongue jack up the boat slowly backed up. The safety chains got tight and the breakaway cable snapped. I am supposed to go on a 4 days trip to Montauk, NY on Thursday and right now it's panic mode. I tried to tow the boat on the parking lot and things were fine but I understand that it might end-up being an issue on the highway. How can I check if the safety mode got engaged? Can I reset it easily? My boat dealer is an hour away from me and it's all highway so even bringing the boat to the dealer would be an issue. I am attachig a pic of the cable if that's of any help.

Thanks,

Attachments

• Breakaway_cable.jpg
    Breakaway_cable.jpg
    48.7 KB · Views: 18
West Marine has several stores in your area Pax which should have the parts you need. Click here to find the store nearest you

http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wc...alogId=10001&page=StoreLocator&section=stores

I though am not aware of any safety mode (trailer brake wise) that would "still" be engaged and if so, dragging it 5 feet would tell you such by it having a locked up tire that will not roll :)

We can always have chat session later on tonight if you would like to have a "Think Tank" session to address your issue though before your trip ;)

Just let me know :D

We can always have chat session later on tonight if you would like to have a "Think Tank" session to address your issue though before your trip ;)

Why not! Anything that can help is welcomed. I have to believe that it should be a fairly simple fix but I am traveling Tuesday and Wednesday and supposed to launch in CT for Montauk around 7:00am on Thursday. I am available anytime.

Thanks,

Not a problem, and I am parked in the Chat Room now and will check it from time to time to see if your have arrived as I work on some other items ;)

Long story short. The breakaway cable snapped but never pulled the emergency break. :D According to my dealer if the emergency break is engaged the thing to do is to look under the tongue and use a screw driver to pull back to big spring.

You would think that the brakes would of engaged after it snapped. I would also make sure that all is working.

Back