position on trailer bunks

rutherford

Registered Member
City
Blacksburg
I just bought a 2007 190 bay boat. I noticed that the outer most bunks are about one inch short of the edge of the stern. I can see some indentation of the hull because of this. I know that Triumph suggests having the bunks extend over the edge of the stern for a few inches. I assume the simplest way to do this is to move the winch a few inches away from the boat. However, this will place more weight on the tow vehicle. I am aware of the suggested percentage weight distribution between the back of the boat trailer and the tow vehicle. My question is, will moving the boat a few inches toward the tow vehicle cause an significant shift in the weight distribution? Also, how does one measure the percentage distribution? Thanks in advance.

Go to a truck stop on use the scales. Weigh the trailer with truck of the scales and trailer on, then trailer disconnected on scales fully. The difference is your tongue weight. Most trailers you can also adjust the axle position. My first thought is that those few inches wont make as much as a difference as all the other factors like fuel load, ice and gear, size of motor and so on.

If it's an EZ loader, contact the company. I had a couple of questions on my 2006 and they were very responsive and helpful. Might have suggestions how to best go about it too.

I agree, I don't think a few inches will make a huge difference. Sounds like it just wasn't set up correctly to begin with.

One can get a nasty "hook" in the hull (no matter the material) if the bunks do not go past the stern. Then it is like driving around with trim tabs extended all the time which does (not) wonders for your fuel burn at mid range or higher speeds by driving the bow down all the time.

Lucky for you the Triumph will return to shape unlike most fiberglass boats will do once corrected and the proper support is reapplied along with some time setting in the new position or on out on the water naturally.

The easy way to adjust for such naturally is by moving the winch stand forward and then reloading the boat. Just use a bathroom scale and put it under the jack as you go to raise it again, this should tell you if you are too nose heavy and a rough guide is 10 to 15% of the total weight of the BMT down on the hitch / tongue. If I am not mistaken my 190 lands in around 180 pounds down on the hitch which and as such, tracks like a dream behind the truck ;)

At one time there was a video link we had posted that went though all the trailer adjustments one could do make to help one track better, will pull some searches and see if I can find it again for it has some excellent information many are not 1st aware of.

The only right way to correct the tongue weight is to slide the axles. My tongue weight was close to 750 lbs when I picked up the boat new. The dealer moved the winch toward the rear to mitigate the heavy tongue, but this put the boat too far back with the problem as you describe of the transom sticking out beyond the bunks and not being supported. Since 195CCs were rare in mid 2009, I had to drive from TX to NC to get my boat and drove the 1200 mile trip home with the boat on the trailer like that. When I got home, I moved the winch back to its original location, jacked the trailer up so the wheels were off the ground, supporting the frame on jack stands with several 2x6s for distributing the weight across the frame (boat was still on the trailer), then measured carefully, loosened the axle U-bolts, and moved the axles (tandem in my case) forward. It took two separate attempts to get the tongue to weigh what it does now (295#). If you take your time and measure carefully, you should be able to do this and still keep the axles aligned properly. I used a digital strain gauge bathroom scale with a lever and fulcrum setup to halve the actual tongue weight measurement. I ended up moving the axles around 7" forward.

Alternative..... If your tongue weight is too heavy now or even correct, then moving the winch forward will only make the tongue heavier. If you can't or your not into moving the axles, then just use longer bunks.

Back