Pro Pulse Propellers

Codfish

Contributing Member
Premium Member
City
Payette
I'm wondering if anyone has installed a ProPulse brand prop on their boat, any type of boat, and what did you think about the prop and its performance. Good and bad. Let us know what you think about them.

codfish

propelling with propulse

howdi codfish
i have an 01 210cc with an '04 johnson 140 four stroke. it came from the dealer with a 21pitch ss prop and i could only get 5200 rpms w.o.t.. i went with the 5 setting adjustible propulse and i can go from 6000+ at the low setting to 5200 at the top end of the pitch setting. i have it set now to run at 58-5900 and it will jump on plane pronto!!! with less trim tabs needing to be down :D boat seems to hold in the tight turns better as well.
the blades are supposed to be stronger than aluminun and will break off on severe impact rather than deform and vibrate . i like the idea of being able to replace a blade (which i keep 3 on board) rather than tearing up a lower unit with the s.s. i have taken the inside curve of the local river a little toooo close and plowed the sand bar pretty good and also ran aground twice on a cut to the inlet that had the markers blown out of location from a previous nor'easter. after all three incidents the blades show wear but not enough to get excited over--
spend the extra money and get the adjustible one so you will be able to find the pitch that fits your motor requirements
putershark convinced me to try them and i'm glad i did. he swears by them and i think you will find other comments on the 190 forum thread titled "prop question"
tight lines
GGC
needless i got 2 s.s props i need to get rid of or trade for a 18 pitch spare(just to have one in the boat)

Yes,

Not only a fan, but I am also shocked as to how strong these Props really are. I have managed to thump some Oyster beds pretty hard (one of my favorite places to hunt for Reds) here of late, and those props are a lot stronger than many give them credit. Have lost quite a bit of paint off of the Skegg (got a fix for that issue on order http://www.skeggardmarine.com) and still no real damage / problems with the Pro-Pulse unit.

Ok so I may loose due to slippage, a few knots of flat out top end speed by not running a Stainless prop. I also do not worry about trashing 1500 plus dollars worth of lower unit by hitting something hard and transferring all that stress and load to the lower unit when everything comes to a grinding halt.

Anybody with a newer boat looking to find the best pitch for your rig would also be hard pressed to find another unit with such pitch flexibility at that same price point. If nothing and once done with your testing, save it as a back up unit that will never rust… Just have fun beating / torching off (been there done that) that old salt welded metal prop off the output shaft when you do go to change it out a year or so later for that problem is also history with a Pro-Pulse unit. They also weigh next to nothing (thought the wife had brought home a empty box when she picked it up) which also saves a lot of wear and tear on your lower unit so how can you really go wrong? J

What is the optimum pitch prop for a 115 merc on a 190 bay?

After reading these threads I'm considering a propulse prop for my 170. I'm also considering a piranha prop. Has anyone had any experience, good or bad, with the piranha prop? :confused:

deweyneal said:
What is the optimum pitch prop for a 115 merc on a 190 bay?

The pitch setting that works the best for your engines torque and power band, boat loading, and local water conditions (that's my disclaimer) :D

I though would set the Pro Pulse to the center setting and test, then if your not getting the recommended top end RPM, then loosed up the 4 bolts and adjust as needed. The Pro Pulse web page though goes into detail those steps and the possible changes your engine "may" encounter from making those changes... Now having said that, these props are not a speed prop. The fact that it is 4 bladed unit will cause some (though small) loss of top end speed. The boat though will jump on a plane quicker (when set correct) and since it is a 4 bladed unit run smoother than most 3 bladed units...

Like I stated before, they make for great "testing" units and since they are not metal are lightweight to store, and don't rust! Thus making them a great back up unit that you can keep aboard your boat if you want to run a SS prop after all of your testing is done :) Just don't be supprised though it you just wind up just keeping it on the engine after all your testing for they are a pretty nice unit ;)

Let us know how you make out...

Dave

potentialowner said:
After reading these threads I'm considering a propulse prop for my 170. I'm also considering a piranha prop. Has anyone had any experience, good or bad, with the piranha prop? :confused:

Had a piranha on are old 18ft fourwinns. Liked the prop a lot. Right now we have a SS on our 210cc

Were can i get more info on these props? My 210 came with a stainless prop and i'm concerned with tearing up the lower unit due to alot of no water places around Harkers island were i will be fishing most of the time. There aren't many boats down there with paint still on the skegg.

Bobby G,

Go to ProPulse.com. They have some short video clips on the props and how they work, how made etc.

I have decided to get one for my 210CC to try out. I currently run an aluminum 3 blade at 17 pitch on a Suzuki 140 4S. It works fine but the pro pulse will allow more fine tuning for different needs.

codfish

Back