4 blade prop for 150 Honda

hunter1

Registered Member
City
North East
This year while getting some up grades to my 05, 210, I wanted to change the prop, I had a upgraded prop added when I purchaced the boat, I wanted the boat to get on plane faster.
It did, only problem was you could hit rev limiter, almost 7 ,000 RPM.I was going to have the standard prop put back on, when the dealer said I could have the new 4 blade test prop from honda to keep free, if i reported the feed back on performance.
Let me tell you it dose what the other prop did and better, and all at normal rpm ranges
I have noticed more tourq, more speed and more fuel economy.If any one has a 130 to a 150
honda, you should try this prop.:)

I am a big fan of 4 bladed props since you have the same amount of mass ascending in the water as you do descending thus, making them much smoother both at launch and when cruising ;)

This is easier (being smoother) for some to picture mentally, when you take into effect that a prop like a engine, is a circle and having 4 blades is better balanced since you can divide 4 equally. This is also why 3 and 5 cylinder engines have a looping idle and never "feel" like they can rev up as fast or as freely as say a 4, 6, 8 cylinder engine does. The odd crank throw and all the cranksahft counter weights just never seem to balance out having a odd number of cylinders...

Maybe it is time I re-mounted the pro pulse 4 bladed prop back on for some more testing? This since I just got the boat back out of the shop :D. The 3 bladed SS prop she has now "feels" as if it out of balance some (like I thumped it, but have not) and since the engine is running and shifting so much smoother now, maybe the 3 bladed prop (though launches like a Space Shuttle) is just showing more of its true nature now :confused: Who knows... This or I have become more sensitive to engine feel again since the engine was just put all back together, and one always wonders / worries some about some bolt that was left loose by accident that could do some major damage if and when it lets go... Back when I was flying we called that "Auto Rough" for the aircraft engine "always" felt like it was missing some once you took off over water! Ha-Ha...

But if you can secure the maker of that prop (I will assume it is Solas since it is a Honda prop) also with the model number, it's pitch, and the material it is made of.... I would like to read up on it if I find some data on it and maybe try one myself on my 150 :)

Thanks again!

Fuel Improvement

I have a 2005 BF150 on the 210CC and with 3-blade 15/17 aluminum I average 2.3 miles per gallon all last season. I considered a 4-blade this year, but was worried about fuel milage differences... as I am trying to reach the canyons from DE on 70 gallons of fuel. I have even added Fuel Flow indicator to test these options... but have not performed the tests yet. Do y have any data on the fuel milage difference between 3 and 4-blade props?

On my 08 215 with the same engine, I originally had a 4 blade 14.25x19 prop. My top end speed was approx. mid 40's, but I could not readily get the boat on plane when I had 4 men in it fishing off shore. I would need to put trim tabs down, shift bodies, etc. My dealer switched me to a 3 blade 15x19. I can now get on plane much easier, the engine runs quieter, but I've lost some top end and I believe some mpg. I may ask my dealer for a 14.25x17 3 blade to try out. When I had the 4 blade, several other boaters and another dealer noticed and stated it was too much prop for this boat/engine and this was probably the reason for not getting out of the hole and on plane quickly. It's a work in progress depending on conditions. Good luck with your research.

Reply to Katfish

1- How are you measuring speed? ... Dash Speedometer or GPS? The two on my boat are many miles apart.... I try to use GPS.... but I am not sure if that is actually more accurate.

2- Why are you giving up the .75" on your prop diameter?.... The Honda 150 will take a 15" dia. I did this by accident, but once it was realized, I moved back to 15"

3- How much benefit do you get from the trim tabs?... getting onto plane or otherwise? I do not have trim tabs installed to date.

JK

I am a 4-blade owner now

I contacted a Honda motor rep, who put me in touch with PTPROPS. After the first call I could tell they knew what they were talking about. They suggested a prop, which caused my wallet to hurt, but my belief in what I was hearing cost me $680. I moved to the 4-blade, stainless, 15 1/2 " props (which I did know whould fit under the BF150), 14" pitch. It picks the boat onto plane faster, smooths the transitions, pushes my 21CC 20% faster, and uses 25% less fuel. In the past 15 days, I have run it 1000 statute miles on the ocean. I will not go back.

Hunter1 - Thank you for the 4-blade recommendation.

JK
P.S. We are also eating fresh yellowfin and bluefin tuna as a result of my prop evaluation.

Hunter1 and Fishncrisis,

Would you guys post the exact model numbers and manufactures of the props you bought. I'm looking to upgrade props as well. I'm using the factory 15x17 aluminum prop at the moment, it does OK, but I know that I can get better performance.

-JB

Power Tech Propellers

My Honda 150 now carries the 15 1/4" OFS4R14 from Power Tech Propellers. Ask for Marcus Clements, Marketing Manager.

JK

I just bought a BRP Rogue 4 blade stainless steel propeller to replace the 3 blade aluminum that came with my 75 hp Evinrude Etec engine on my 170 DC. I decided to make the switch after trying the 4 blade ProPulse composite propeller temporarily. The 4 blade ProPulse gets my boat on plane more quickly and holds plane at a lower speed. It is quicker out of the hole and works great for tubing and skiing. It bites better in tight turns also. I can't wait to install the new stainless prop. It is a 13" x 17" pitch. I expect that it will work even better than the ProPulse. I'll post my findings after I test it out.:D

Attachments

• IMG_4084.jpg
    IMG_4084.jpg
    55.7 KB · Views: 9
Back