Rotted out Rear Crossmember

Schmidty

Registered Member
State
NH
My rear crossmember on my ez-loader trailer for my 210 is pretty badly rotted to the point I don't trust it going down the road and dealing with potholes etc. I need to replace it. I searched the forum of how to go about doing that and I found a discussion with the following link.

http://boattrailerpartsplace.com/aluminum-cross-members/

Sorry I tried linking to the post to give the op credit but couldn't figure it out.

Anyway I ordered a 1/4" thick 3inch aluminum crossmember and then set out to figure out how to replace it. The boat is on the trailer. I could get dock space for a week but then would have to pay for dock space and drive said un-road worthy trailer...plus I would have to figure out where the brackets go without a boat for reference. If I do it with the boat on the trailer I have to figure out how to lift it.

I decided to lift an support it and do the swap with the boat on the trailer. I built a temporary crossmember out of 4x4s just forward of the rear crossmember and added some 2x6 pieces so the temporary support would be lifting on the existing bunk boards. I the outer end of the 4x4s are on the trailer frame. I lifted the boat off of the crossmember and supported the temporary wooden one with jack stands. Then I removed the galvanized crossmember and lined up the new aluminum one. I used u bolts to secure the aluminum crossmember to the frame in the same location as the original one. I was then able to see exactly where the supports needed to go and how high based on the boat itself.

I cut the bunk supports from the crossmember and reused them. They were rusty but not completely rotted and cleaned up enough to weld some new supports.

I used angle iron and ubolts to secure the bunk supports to the new crossmember. I also added white oak in between the steel bunk supports and the aluminum crossmember since these 2 metals would corrode pretty bad and direct contact would be a wear issue as well.

Oak is used as a spacer in large trucks, like box trucks, between the frame and the box for the same reason. If it is good enough for a 26,000 lb truck it will work for my boat.

Almost finished with the supports. ran out of welding wire. I plan on painting the bunk supports as well. I know this will be a maintenance issue but it's something I can keep up. I'll post some pics and add more when it's all done.

Attachments

• IMG_1534.jpeg
    IMG_1534.jpeg
    3.4 MB · Views: 10
  • IMG_1537.jpeg
    IMG_1537.jpeg
    4 MB · Views: 10
  • IMG_1542.jpeg
    IMG_1542.jpeg
    4.6 MB · Views: 10
Looks like a pretty darn nice repair. You are lucky to be able to weld. Your method to raise the boat looks very good also.

Codfish

Back