Royally Flummoxed on Dash Switches

richardbfin

Participating Member
State
UT
I am royally flummoxed on some dash switch issues. Neither the live well pump or the bilge pump are working. I've tested wire continuity from the switches to the bundle connector plug, but it goes south after that. ONE BIG QUESTION: In the photo I have circled and added an arrow to a thick wire (olive green) that is screwed down on a lug at the base of the inlet for the wash down pump and for the live well pump (the pump is at the top). That green wire runs up to the console, but isn't attached to anything. Could this be part of my problem? I'm not sure how grounding that inlet/pump base helps anything, but it seems strange that it is unconnected at the console.

groundstrap.jpgdash - 1.jpeg

My first recommendation is to get that puppy and all those areas cleaned up first (Wash, Rinse, Leaf Blower & then Shop Vac) so you can actually see everything first Brother ;)

Some stripper soap (the type used to remove paint sealant / coatings) that is much stronger than most on the market will come in handy!

109632-EPIC-Pre-Wash-Concentrate.jpg

This also works wonders after you lay down some soap and get it all cleaned up via normal wash chemicals as a follow-on step. Just be careful with it and wear shoes and safety glasses! And just do not leave it on for a long period around all that wiring (5 to 8 min) and rinse it off real well after application to those respective areas... http://www.starbrite.com/item/mildew-stain-remover

OK (two days later and the boat looks almost new) now you come in and see everything, it's real condition, and the respective wire color codes. In theory, they were wired to ABYC standers thus should employ the same basic wire color code specified for each system. You can find that guide here: https://www.pacergroup.net/abyc-color-code-standards/

I would then go though and clean and reattach every signal wire at the switch panel, and all the grounds back at the engine, batteries, and main power / A-B switches she has... After all that is done, now go grab the meter and see what is still dead and needs replaced ;)

Chasing after wiring issues in what looks like bilge of a oil tanker (after) a Coal Mine explosion, is not fun and really in many cases a waste of time since you cannot really see anything and trust me, you are going to find more wrong or it just crumbles in your hands while working on it...

Hope this helps!

My first recommendation is to get that puppy and all those areas cleaned up first (Wash, Rinse, Leaf Blower & then Shop Vac) so you can actually see everything first Brother ;)

Some stripper soap (the type used to remove paint sealant / coatings) that is much stronger than most on the market will come in handy!

109632-EPIC-Pre-Wash-Concentrate.jpg

This also works wonders after you lay down some soap and get it all cleaned up via normal wash chemicals as a follow-on step. Just be careful with it and wear shoes and safety glasses! And just do not leave it on for a long period around all that wiring (5 to 8 min) and rinse it off real well after application to those respective areas... http://www.starbrite.com/item/mildew-stain-remover

OK (two days later and the boat looks almost new) now you come in and see everything, it's real condition, and the respective wire color codes. In theory, they were wired to ABYC standers thus should employ the same basic wire color code specified for each system. You can find that guide here: https://www.pacergroup.net/abyc-color-code-standards/

I would then go though and clean and reattach every signal wire at the switch panel, and all the grounds back at the engine, batteries, and main power / A-B switches she has... After all that is done, now go grab the meter and see what is still dead and needs replaced ;)

Chasing after wiring issues in what looks like bilge of a oil tanker (after) a Coal Mine explosion, is not fun and really in many cases a waste of time since you cannot really see anything and trust me, you are going to find more wrong or it just crumbles in your hands while working on it...

Hope this helps!
Awesome! I’m on it. Was wondering his to get this all clean. New-to-me boat, it had issues but I got it cheap.

Particularly interested to see that there’s a wire code standard. How do I get that wire? I googled the crap out of tinned marine 18AWG and all I got were solid colors.

Dave, thanks for that. Had checked it out... but the wire comes in 500' or 1000' rolls. I'm looking for 15'. I can't find anybody that sells by the foot.

I would call them and see if they can break up (or have some smaller sections laying around?) Or have a dealer near you that does?

Next option would be West Marine or maybe even your local NAPA store?

Mostly debugged the wiring. The outboard shop that ran new steering cables wired all the pumps up wrong. Grrr. I have one wire that switches correctly but only gives 3V so I'm thinking that one got mashed by the installers, just like the old fish finder cable was mangled by them. At least now I'm really familiar with how the boat is wired.

Back