Rusty trim tabs

OC Tim

Registered Member
City
Berlin
My 235's trim tabs are completely rusted in December all the screws and bolts were replaced because they broke off from corrosion. Someone told me that on Lenco the hinge weld can cause a chemical change that causes corrosion. I need a fix suggestion they nearly fell off last time. Are they defective, need painted, polished?

Tim,
My Lenco tabs are as clean and bright as the day I installed them. I can't imagine whats causing yours to corrode. I would contact Lenco and get their advice. I've found them to have good customer service.How are your zincs holding up on your motor? Let us know what you find out.Good luck.
John D.

From the factory:
Sounds like stray electrical current from something, possibly a boat moored nearby that might be bleeding current into the water. I would check other thru hulls and the motor bracket for excess corrosion.
I would definitely contact Lenco on this.

Also have corrosion on my 235's trim tabs. Was surprised and disappointed when first discovered. Glad I found this post. Please let me know what you find out from Lenco.

Lenco said to use on/off to clean up the tabs, then put zincs on. I used 1/2 the small camp rudder zinc mounted to the inside edge of the tab with lock nut on the the bottom. I also properly painted the trim tab by paint manufacturer instructions. You might want to check for water leakage at the hinge fom the screws. I would pull and replace them and the actuator bolts. My tab fell off and the screws are a bare to dig out. Just make sure to elastomere them and they draw tight.

Back