Sea Ya!

ReelDive

Participating Member
City
Chipley
We are going to be in the Caymen Islands aboard the Nekton Rorqual (a live aboard dive boat). all week next week. will Post pic's when we get back

@##$%#^%$%^$%^$^% I am so Jealous. Looks Like it will not be untill the year 2007 / 2008 before I get some warm water diving. Good luck. I had to pass on this years trip.

Have youself some 'reel' fun on that trip. I went to NC for the MackFest to dive last weekend and we never got into the water.
Take lot of photos.

We're back

The Caymans are all the dive mag's say and more. Fantastic!

Attachments

• 4 SchoolMaster.JPG
    4 SchoolMaster.JPG
    63.3 KB · Views: 14
  • 14 Grouper.jpg
    14 Grouper.jpg
    92 KB · Views: 18
  • 16 Mutton  Snapper.JPG
    16 Mutton Snapper.JPG
    72.7 KB · Views: 18
  • 58 Kieth Tibbetts.JPG
    58 Kieth Tibbetts.JPG
    54.5 KB · Views: 24
  • 61 Leslie on dive #50.JPG
    61 Leslie on dive #50.JPG
    50.3 KB · Views: 26
SWEEEEEET more pic please!!!!!!!!!! :D How was the sediment on the battle ship there?? since you live in Florida, how are the keys for diving, and can you recommend a fairly reasonable dive resort. Perhaps I could actually get wet prior to 2008. And stay in the US

Didn't penatrate the wreck but those who did said they didn't have much trouble disturbing the sediment. Gues it depends on the divers involved and thier boyancy control.

As for the Keys, we dove it last Dec. with SEa Dwellers out of Key Largo. They dock behind the Holiday Inn and have good package deals for room and breakfast plus two tank dive. Its great to have the dive boat docked just steps from your room. Go to and from the dock in your wet suit, ready to dive and only a short distance to lug gear. We got to dive the Spegal Grove for only $10.50 more. IT was great. Viz that week was down some, <50', but a lot better than my home waters off Panama City. Lots of fish and critters, and do'able for Photogaphy due to the shallow dives typical in the park.

We plan to do it again this year. Its becoming a Dec tradition with us.

If you want to dive the wrecks, you'll have to be an advanced certified diver.

If decide to do it, let us know and maybe we can dovetail the trip.

ReelDive
When in December do you usually take a trip to the Keys?
Nice photos, please do post some more.

We did a trip last year that involved the Thanksgiving weekend to use paid Holiday days. We took my boat down so we could explore places on our own.

AstroDiver said:
We did a trip last year that involved the Thanksgiving weekend to use paid Holiday days. We took my boat down so we could explore places on our own.

To be honest-- South FL Traffic scares the heck out of me. I'm not going to try it with a boat in tow. NO WAY! besides the charters know where the best stuff is anyway.

Now maybe I'd try it by sea-- Hmmmm InLand Waterway trip and through the locks? or down the Coast and and FL bay?

More pic's comming. I'm on dialup so need to do a lot of editing befor uploading

We had to tow....we couldn't get a boat on a plane. :D

We took it slow and stayed on I-75 most of the way, with a stop in Osprey, FL where OspeyVic lives. He gives nice tours of his boat in the garage. :p

The traffic can get crazy at times. So, I get off I-75 at the Eastern end on US27 South. Follow US27 straight down for about 12 miles. Then 'dogleg' right on to FL997 South. After about 30 miles you get to Homestead, FL where you can merge into US1 to the FL Keys. This cut
by passes the whole Miami area. There are some traffic lights to deal with but that's better than dealing with the Miami traffic. I went that way once [with out a trailer] and it was bad when I-75 ended. I go the same by pass way coming back.
If I-75 "Alligator Alley" is closed for some reason [fires], you get to go via US41 Southeast and you can also pick up FL997 South.

We went commerical for the Spegial Grove but that was a bust. We got put on the bow which was at 93 feet and lost too much air in the process. All the other bouys were taken by smaller boats including a Fold-A-Boat! :eek:

I can understand why some people fly and don't drive.

South Florida traffic scares you. The last time I towed my 210 to Naples I got behind schedual and hit Atlanta GA at the afternoon rush. It was bumper to bumper for two hours heading south. That was nerve racking.

a few more from yhe cayman

Attachments

• Sponge Spawn Step 1.JPG
    Sponge Spawn Step 1.JPG
    52 KB · Views: 11
  • Sponge Spawn Step 2.JPG
    Sponge Spawn Step 2.JPG
    87.1 KB · Views: 10
  • Sponge Spawn Step 3.JPG
    Sponge Spawn Step 3.JPG
    72.1 KB · Views: 8
Back